Menu

Would it be worthwhile for you to visit NY in winter if all 3 campuses are closed?

UPDATE: we decided to go and just enjoy the New York thing.  He will visit his great grandma in NJ and so the trip will be just as much or more about enjoying the visit than seeing the colleges.  However, it will still be useful regarding the colleges, because understanding how he feels about campuses within a city, or campuses that ARE the city, is very important.  And feeling the cold 🙂 And just seeing what it's like once again to navigate the subway - almost all of his other campuses are self contained and only require biking, even off campus.  So it'll still be worthwhile to go....

So it turns out that our plans to fly to NY in the winter are slightly hampered by the fact that all 3 campuses are closed. My son won't get to eat in the dining halls, take the tour,see the students walking around campus.  And we aren't talking weekend-closed but really shut down.  All of the libraries will be closed and even the student info centers.

Unfortunately I've spent an inordinate amount of time looking at schedules and there is no time that we could go, and the campus would be open, because he takes CC classes here.  AND there isn't a time that we could go when it's warmer, because our spring break here isn't until APril.  By then he will have acceptances in hand and it would be pointless to fly to any but his top choice school.

I am thinking that getting a feel for the city (my son has only been there once for a few days), the bustle, the noise etc. again might be useful.

But I am also thinking we are flying across the country in  flu season and freezing our butts off, to walk around empty campuses, where we can't even go inside to warm up while we are there.  

Is this pointless?  Or should I view it as a special adventure with my son one last time before he will be usually on his own?

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

Right, because in April, we might not even have NY on our list.  If he got into his top choice here in CA or in Pittsburgh, then we wouldn't even fly to NY at all.

😞 But unfortunately it looks like the travel insurance doesn't cover this scenario (which I knew it wouldn't but called anyway...they said maybe ... ) 

• Like 1