Menu

Learning CAD

Does your son have a background in technical drawing? This would include basics such as cross-sections, projection planes, inclined and oblique surfaces, etc. If he doesn't, you might want to look into getting an intro to technical drawing book and have him practice on paper so that he gets an idea of what is involved. A good feel for 3-D geometry and being able to manipulate 3-D objects in his head is helpful. Also, given 3 projections or views from top, side, etc. can he figure out what the object should look like in 3-D and sketch it to scale? These are the sorts of exercises I had to do in school and college when taking an AutoCAD class.

I found this book on Amazon that looks good, although I don't have personal experience with it. Technical drawing is really neat, but AutoCAD has a good-sized learning curve, or at least it used to when I last had experience with it (admittedly quite a few years ago).