Menu

Thank you to a pharmacist many states away.

JenneinCA

My eighteen year old is going to college far far away from home.  We are in California and he is New York (not New York City, near Albany).  He takes a medicine for a problem he has had for a long time.  We sent him with enough for several months and a new prescription for the refills we knew he would need.  We did not send him with either his insurance card or a copy of the card.  This was a bad choice.  

He went to fill his script and the pharmacist filled it, but it cost him the full amount.  This past week he went back to refill it again.  This time with the picture of the insurance card my husband sent him.  The pharmacist not only filled the script for this month but also ran the script for last month to the insurance company and refunded the difference.  All from a picture of an insurance card on a cell phone.  

Thank you for all the nice people in the world who do their best to help college kids that are far from home and missing important information.  This mom is glad you are out there.  And to all the people who are sending kids away to college... give them a copy of their insurance cards.

• Like 20

As a pharmacy tech.....I Agree!!!!!!! The pharmacist was very nice for helping him out!! There are some true gems of people in healthcare who really deserve more recognition that they get!

As a side note....I really recommend that everyone take a pic (and save it to a file) with the front and back of all insurance cards on their phones. For parents, that includes the kids cards especially if there are multiple healthcare plans. There are soooo many instances where we need to see an insurance card and people don't have the card with them.  ie car accident that their purse/wallet got towed away with the car.  Stolen/lost/misplaced wallet.  ER visit with a purse/wallet for the driver but not the patient, etc. Having a picture on the phone is an easy way to have an extra copy to increase the likely hood of having it with you....or that someone else in the family can forward you a picture of it.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3