Menu

Oak Meadow French

Phryne

I have seen brief reference to Oak Meadow French both here and on the Oak Meadow website, but I am wondering if it is a real thing that ever took off...?  This brief mention is from May of this year, but I can't find a book or curriculum of any kind anywhere.

I could not possibly afford to sign up for Oak Meadow's entire curriculum, nor would I especially want to, since I am happy with most of what I am doing, but it does seem to offer high quality and a style that appeals to me.  Has anyone actually tried their French?

As a bonus question, I would consider any (secular) beginning French curriculum that involves plenty of parent involvement and little or no reading and writing.  (We would not be doing the reading and writing.  My six year old struggles with reading in English, and I don't want to confuse her by adding French reading yet.  However, she has a decent ear for the language, itself.  I just find that we are floundering, with me trying to create everything, myself.  Videos do not work for us at all.  My daughter learns best if I prepare something ahead of time and teach it to her personally, or if I teach her the words of a French song, line by line.  What I would absolutely love is something like Right Start Math, but for French.  Though I am not a fluent French speaker, I know enough so that I could look over the lesson the night before, make sure I have the pronunciation right, and teach it in the morning.)

58 minutes ago, Phryne said:

Update:  You cannot just buy this book/curriculum.  You have to pay at least $1080 (for just one semester -- the shortest term possible) and to enroll your child in Oak Meadow.  I have this straight from the company.

WOW!  So...that's off our list!

FWIW, we're using L'art de lire this year.  While it's not exactly secular, the religious aspect is not heavy or demands attention if you use it in a secular manner (we have come across the word 'bible' and a page of short verses to translate in level 1).  There is a K-2 program that leads into it called L'art de dire . It is completely oral with songs and pictures - no reading or writing. 

9 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

FWIW, we're using L'art de lire this year.  While it's not exactly secular, the religious aspect is not heavy or demands attention if you use it in a secular manner (we have come across the word 'bible' and a page of short verses to translate in level 1).  There is a K-2 program that leads into it called L'art de dire . It is completely oral with songs and pictures - no reading or writing. 

Thank you!  I'll check it out.