Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW43: Shakespeare Week - Sonnet 43

Robin M

50 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

...we have tried Turkish Delight from a few different sources and really don't like it.

I grew up eating Turkish Delight in Australia and really liked it.  Naturally, I have no idea what the brand was, though I do recall it was rose flavored and coated in chocolate.  I've had different types more recently and some types are definitely better than others; some are too chewy or TOO sweet.  I'll admit to liking Aplets & Cotlets, too.

Regards,
Kareni 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I grew up eating Turkish Delight in Australia and really liked it.  Naturally, I have no idea what the brand was, though I do recall it was rose flavored and coated in chocolate.  I've had different types more recently and some types are definitely better than others; some are too chewy or TOO sweet.  I'll admit to liking Aplets & Cotlets, too.

Regards,
Kareni 

It is probably the rose flavor that makes us not like it.  We have never tried Aplets &Cotlets but am positive dd and I would happily indulge.  Not sure about the guys!  ?.I actually do know hubby would hate it because of apples and apricots.  Seriously, how did a girl who grew up on a fruit farm marry someone who dislikes fruit!

My mom used to make an incredible fruit cake that was really candy,  coconut, dried fruit, nuts, and condensed milk. The kid’s and I were expecting something like that to be Turkish Delight and it really missed the mark.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

My mom used to make an incredible fruit cake that was really candy,  coconut, dried fruit, nuts, and condensed milk. The kid’s and I were expecting something like that to be Turkish Delight and it really missed the mark.

So, to clarify, was it incredibly good or incredibly bad?

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

Seriously, how did a girl who grew up on a fruit farm marry someone who dislikes fruit!

Truly the burning question of the day! 

(And, yes, I suspect you would like Aplets and Cotlets. They are pretty yummy.)

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kareni said:

So, to clarify, was it incredibly good or incredibly bad?

Truly the burning question of the day! 

(And, yes, I suspect you would like Aplets and Cotlets. They are pretty yummy.)

Regards,
Kareni

My mom’s fruit cake was incredibley good.....  We all (well except Dh) loved it!  She lost the recipe,  I found something close a couple of years ago but it seems to be a bit dry.  I haven’t made it since because it’s really fattening and I can’t leave it alone.  Also it wasn’t the foodie hit that I expected it to be so I decided the proportions weren’t right.  It might have been cultural because Brits want their fruitcake to be brown, filled with dried fruit and loaded with alcohol!  It isn’t normal brown fruitcake,  it was close to this recipe except   ? it used a I know it used a can of crushed pineapple and a jar of marasciano cherries as opposed to candied.  Also lots of white raisins.  

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-worlds-best-fruitcake-124172

• Like 2

I just finished  Outbreak: A Nightshades Novel  by Melissa F. Olson; I enjoyed the book (the third and final book in the series), but this is definitely a series that should be read in order.

"Melissa F. Olson's thrilling FBI vampire procedural Nightshades series concludes with Outbreak

The Chicago field office of the Bureau of Preternatural Investigation is facing its deadliest challenge, yet—internal investigation! Alex and Lindy are on the hook, and on the run.

But when all of the BPI’s captive vampires are broken free from their maximum security prison, and Hector finally steps out of the shadows, Alex must use every trick to stay ahead of both the BPI and the world’s most dangerous shade.

Confrontation is inevitable. Success is not."

And yesterday I re-read (yet again) Anne Bishop's  Lake Silence.  While this could stand alone, I'd recommend starting with the author's other series which begins with Written in Red.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2018 at 7:03 PM, Teaching3bears said:

Shakespeare: We are currently reading his Henry VIII for homeschooling.

We finished The Alchemyst   by Michael Scott and we started The Magician and I am realizing that there are four more books in the series.  Anyone know if they are all as good?

I enjoyed the first four and don't know what happened after that. Maybe just needed a break.  They are good and I have the next book on my shelves - The Warlock - which I probably should read pretty soon. Just have to refresh myself on what happened prior. 

On 10/23/2018 at 12:34 PM, Nan in Mass said:

I am still working my way through the Honor Harrington series, and relistening to things when I do audiobooks.  My reading time has been reduced recently because my car time needs to be spent on the phone with lonely relatives instead of listening to audiobooks, and my before-bed reading time is spent drawing for inktober.

Does anyone have any good advice for making it all the way through NaNoMo?  A young friend is doing it.  It needs to be brief advice because he is young. : )

Nan

For nanowrimo, just have to stick to it everyday.  If under 18, he can set his own goal so whatever works for him.  Maybe have him write in long hand instead of work on the computer if it poses too much of a distraction.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:16 PM, aggieamy said:

We had a bit of a crazy week last week so I finished one book and re-listened to some audio books. Early last week my car died and to make a long long story short John and I ended up abandoning Kevin and the girls at home while we flew to Charlotte and drove a new (used) car home. It was seventeen hours in the car over two days. Then we almost hit a deer about an hour from home. And we listened to Curious George and the Firefighters ... I don't know ... something like seventy billion times.

Congrats on the newer car. Glad you made it home safely. Mom and son trips are always fun. 

On 10/24/2018 at 6:21 AM, texasmom33 said:

I went online to try and find a list of characters and it turns out there is this whole role playing world for Goblin Emperor. Who knew?!? 

Also, the narrator for the book on Audible sounds uncannily  like Robin Leach from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, except in a higher register. I keep expecting to hear him say "champagne wishes and caviar dreams" but I'm going to only mention this in a really small font so y'all don't ban me from the thread. ?

I love Robin Leach. I think he's responsible for my love of all things celebrity.  Use to watch his show all the time. ?

• Like 4