Menu

Can you walk me through good elementary school writing programs?

JessBurs

So my daughter is a young second grader. We are using Writing Strands 2 this year and I have been feeling a bit ehh about it so far (of course, my feelings might change as we progress through the year, haha) but I was hoping people could help fill me in WRT some of the writing curriculum they have seen their children thrive with. I keep seeing people discuss different curriculum options and honestly have trouble tracking which ones are middle school vs. elementary school, what all the acronyms stand for, etc.

Background: Elsewhere for language arts we are using English Lessons Through Literature L2 and we are really enjoying it so far (my daughter has really liked the reading selections so far). We also use Spelling Workout and she actually says spelling is one of her favorite subjects, so I do not need anything that incorporates grammar/spelling really.

My daughter also loves to read and write. She learned to read early and loves fantasy books, adventure, etc. She also has a very active imagination and has notebooks filled with her own stories that she has created (many of them adopting characters from her favorite books and shows and crafting new adventures for them).

Anyone have any curriculum that they would highly recommend? Thanks a lot!

Have you gotten The Well-Trained Mind yet? Your library might have it. SWB also has an audio of her explaining her approach to writing instruction, and it's only $2.99 for the elementary. https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-elementary-grades-mp3/  Even if you don't think you want to do exactly what she says, it will get you up to speed on the issues so you can make decisions. 

It sounds like Writing Strands isn't matching your dd's enthusiasm and natural bent for writing. Something more creative, something with possibly longer assignments or more challenge would interest her. When my dd was that age, we were using things like CW (Classical Writing) and later Writing Tales. I still really like Writing Tales, but I think the new series from CAP is well-regarded and a good starting place. https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/writing-rhetoric-book-1-fable-program/

It's also ok just to WRITE!! Make lists together, play games with language like games where you create captions for pictures, try more engaging writing like [Sponsored]Don't Forget to Write for the Elementary Grades: 50 Enthralling and Effective Writing Lessons (Ages 5 to 12) etc. That's wonderful that she's writing so much on her own! Definitely make sure she has time to do this. 

Instead of worrying about doing more writing, since writing seems to be going well for her, you might go add a foreign language or taking up a craft or something. I began my dd in latin around that age. Muzzy might be available through your library if you want to do a spoken language.