Menu

Should I try out Math-U-See or am I fine?

JaLeSherman

I have a first grader who has been doing Singapore Standards for the last 10 months. (We home-school year round). We are still in 1A, and only made it to the 11-20 facts. She knows her 1-10 solidly, positional language, but what I am concerned with is how long it is taking us to move through the course work. I was wondering if maybe I should switch to Math-U-See as I have heard that moves at a slower rate with a lot more repetition that seems to be her learning style for now at least. Or should I continue to stick it out with Singapore Standards? Because when she does get through it, she has it if you get what I mean. Like she explains and teaches to me level of mastery. 

Also to play to her need of repetition I do have the assorted books of Tests, Intensive Practice, and Extra Practice that I have her do to help master it. 

I know the great thing of homeschooling is the whole move-at-your-own pace but I'm wanting to see other opinions. We do not have this slow of progress in any other subject she studies. (Other than the usual slow-down here and there of something that is hard to grasp at first.) 

1 hour ago, JaLeSherman said:

I know the great thing of homeschooling is the whole move-at-your-own pace but I'm wanting to see other opinions. We do not have this slow of progress in any other subject she studies. (Other than the usual slow-down here and there of something that is hard to grasp at first.) 

Be careful about having unrealistic expectations that a child will develop/learn at the same rate in all subject areas.

The brains of children in the age 4-8 range develop asynchronously -- in other words, they may be strong and fly ahead in one subject area -- Language Arts (LA) for example -- but lag in other areas (Math), because all of the growth energy is going into developing the LA areas of the brain. Also, children may have a sudden spurt of growth and learning in one area and then "sit in idle" for awhile in that same area before having another "spurt" forward.

In other words, don't expect all subjects to move forward at the same pace for the same student. Usually by about 5th grade for most students, that revving forward in one area while being slower/stopped in another area all evens out into a more steady overall brain development in all areas.

And on top of all that, it is very common for girls to develop the LA areas of the brain earlier (ages 4-7), and the Math areas of the brain later (ages 7-9), while it is often the reverse for boys, who frequently develop the Math areas of the brain earlier (ages 4-7), and the LA areas of the brain later (ages 7-9). Again, usually by about 5th grade this evens out.

re: your question about using MUS

I vote that it is okay (and often a good thing) to ADD a second program OR to use supplements that come at the math from a different angle. That allows you to slow down to your student's pace while providing variety and new ways of seeing the topic. It also gives you the ability to set aside the "spine" math for a time if the student "hits the wall" with a topic; work with the second math program and/or supplements on a different topic and let the "troublesome" topic sit on the back burner of the student's mind for a week (or a month). And often when you come back to the spine math and that topic, the topic "clicks".

So, yes, you could ADD MUS as a supplement. Or ADD something else. We used Miquon as a supplement to Singapore in those early years, but we also used a lot of manipulatives and go-along booklets -- things like:

- Pattern Blocks and booklet such as:
   Math Discoveries with Pattern Blocks gr. K-1) and (gr. 2-3)
   Primary Block Task Cards
   Hands On Thinking Skills
   Developing Mathematics with Pattern Blocks

- Geoboards and booklet such as:
   Primary Geoboard Activities
   Flip and Draw
   Activity Cards
   or online downloadable/printable free activities

- Multilink Cubes and booklet such as:
   Mathlink Cube Activity Book (gr. K-2) and/or (gr. 3-6)
   Mathematics With Cubes (gr. K-4)
   Hands On Thinking Skills

- Cuisenaire rods and resources such as:
   Idea Book for Cuisenaire rods
   Super Source: Cuisenaire rods
   Education Unboxed math videos -- free! (uses Cuisenaire rods)
   and Miquon Math uses Cuisenaire rods

BEST of luck in finding what works best to meet DD's math needs! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thank you for that information about brain development Lori D. I hadn't thought it like that (I'm still trying to shed that public school mind set) and that makes more sense. Good to know this is more of a normal thing than it is something to be worried about! 

Also --- thanks for the resources to check out, some of those I never heard of. I'm glad you stumbled across my question!

• Like 1