Menu

Challenging a 6yo in reading

HomeOnTheRanch

If a 6 1/2 yo could do her reading w/workbook pages all by herself, should I advance her to something more challenging for her?

We did 100 easy lessons last year, but didn't make it all the way through the book. This year (August) we started with Pathway readers and workbooks. She just finished the 3rd book for 1st grade and is ready for the 2nd grade set. With the new baby, I haven't done a thing with her in the 3rd book. Other than occasionally ask me for help with a word (maybe 1x/week), she has done it all by herself. She is reading better than her 9yo brother and I do hear her read to the baby.

We have the full Pathway reader set and the full CLE reading set. I'm wondering if I should just get her the workbooks for the Pathway set that she could continue doing on her own or get the 1st grade CLE set which would need more involvement from me.

I certainly don't wish to hold her back, but as long as she is happy doing what she is doing, I can use the time helping her brothers or with the new baby. Will I later regret not challenging her more at this stage?

She spends about 1 hour, sometimes up to 1 1/2 hours, a morning on her work. She does a story w/workbook pages in reading, 1 page in Miquon math, 1 page in HWOT, and we do FLL together. History & Science are done with brothers in the afternoons.

Workbooks might not hurt, if she likes them. But it sounds like she is a pretty motivated reader. My middle son is like that too. I have found that he pushes himself and doesn't really need formal reading instruction. I have him read to me about once a week (just from whatever book he is currently reading).

I decided that the relaxed approach isn't going to hurt him, because (much like your daughter) he reads as well as my 9yo. I just give him access to lots and lots of books. And we still read to him when he wants us to. Don't forget that she is getting a great advantage sitting in on school with big brother too!

Do you have things like the McGuffey series? Little House? Access to a library that has books with tapes that "read" to her? I think she'll be okay, especially if her decoding skills are really great and it sounds like they are. Having said that, I'd try to change things up every few weeks to keep your eyes and ears open. In other words, if she's really running with it and is okay, you work a little more on other things with her. If not, you do more hands on stuff for a couple of weeks until she kicks back in.

But, since we have these two who are in the same place in birth order and practically share a birthday, let me say that I doubt you have anything at all to worry about. Mine is working ahead in just about everything and I've opted to slow a bit in reading to keep her from starting 2nd grade work at Christmas. Not that I'd mind, you know, but then what do I do with her when she overtakes the others??? :D

Hugs and blessings to you and your gorgeous kidlets (loved the pics of #5).

To me, if a child is doing a workbook that is very easy and requires no assistance from me (other than a penmanship book or something) I think it is just busy work. I would try and find something that is more challenging. I would probably just have her do a lot of reading out loud at this point and discuss the stories that you are reading. It sounds like she is happy doing it, so if you need to buy time, I think it is fine to have her do it, but I don't know how much it is teaching her.

To me, if a child is doing a workbook that is very easy and requires no assistance from me (other than a penmanship book or something) I think it is just busy work. I would try and find something that is more challenging. I would probably just have her do a lot of reading out loud at this point and discuss the stories that you are reading. It sounds like she is happy doing it, so if you need to buy time, I think it is fine to have her do it, but I don't know how much it is teaching her.

:iagree:

:iagree: You could get something more challenging and just use the "fun" book for her to use independently when you need time with the boys.