Menu

World Religions for Middle Grades

Gil

So, I have found a topic/subject I'm less capable of teaching than writing compositions: World Religions.

I have a kid who is very interested in learning about religions. This is a subject that I don't feel comfortable just winging it with library books because authors/publishers may be "just writing a book" to meet a quota and round out their offerings, but the information provided could be incomplete, overly simplified, or just plain wrong. I don't want him reading religious texts without any context or some sort of follower (who is informed, rational and able to be detached from their bias during discussion.) to discuss what he's reading and why it says XYZ.

I've found a few World Religions textbooks on Amazon, but inevitably someone comments that their religion has been misrepresented...

What is a good place to start?

I didn't feel comfortable winging it with library books or with comparative religion books because they tend to be pathetically dry. I trawled through Amazon to find individual titles.
We've read the Bible Stories version of most of the major world religions and enjoyed the slightly dry but still human "What you will see inside a <Whomever's Place of Worship.> I made dd watch the entire 94 episodes of Mahabarat too. ?

We used Worldviews: A Children's Introduction to Missions (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0989954560/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) last year when my son was in 6th grade, along with the Usborne Encyclopedia of World Religions. The Worldviews book was set up to cover five weeks, although it could easily be stretched to be longer depending on what you add to it. It covered 5 main groups: Tribal, Hindu, Unreligious, Muslim, and Buddhist. It was a good starting point for us, and I liked that there was a cultural component to the book instead of just dry facts. 

My high school aged daughter was doing a more thorough study of world religions using World Religions: A Voyage of Discovery (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1599823292/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). That was definitely a high school level text (but that was what prompted me to try to do some world religions work with my middle schooler).

• Like 2