Menu

Duke TIP 7th Grade Talent Search

My son’s scores from the testing we did in May at the end of his 6th grade year qualify him to enroll in the 7th Grade Talent Search. I see that enrollment runs August to April and that you have to pick a test/location/date when you sign up. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to enrolling and testing earlier vs. later? I was thinking of signing him up for a May testing date so he’d have the whole year of Algebra under his belt before taking the SAT or ACT (also, is there any consensus on which to take?). Does that make sense or am I not thinking of something?

If he wants to do camps, he needs to do it earlier rather than later. You need test scores by about January for most. I suggest a date that allows test release-it’s well worth it to be able to see what they missed. The May date usually isn’t an official talent search date, so there probably won’t be other younger kids taking it that date. There is also a cutoff for awards. 

Ypu can also get a paper registration form and do the test on your own, and then send the scores to any of the talent searches if your son wants to do a program or camp. 

• Like 1

Seconding not to wait too late if you think he has any chance of testing into the programs and/or qualifying for an award. Summer program applications are due in March. Award ceremony invitations go out in early April.

FWIW, my dd took it in December with about half of Algebra 1 under her belt and qualified for both.