Menu

I need help with 3rd grade

Janeway

I have math and English under control. It is the rest. My 11th grader was a breeze and very independent. I also used some software with him and none of that works with our current computers. I used things like Consider God's Creation and Story of the World. But, we did a ton of driving to activities back then so he had plenty of time to listen to SOTW in the car. This is not the case anymore. I am not sure CGC is a good choice anymore. And I really need something that is open and go. I do not mind buying a science kit, something that comes with supplies, but do not want something super expensive. I am looking over my Apologia elementary series and wondering how I managed it before.  I could try to make a go of it again I suppose. Right now, he is loving watching Magic School Bus videos and I don't mind doing that. But, he is so willing to do his work that we are completing everything by 10am. I am talking, every single thing. In the past, my next older child fought me every step of the way so my standards went way down. Now I do not know what to do with our days. I feel awful like I am completely letting this child down. I do not know what to do! Also, I do not want any sort of workbook program. We have enough seatwork right now.  I want something that will teach him to love the subject matters.

Edited by Janeway

Open and go.
Kit with supplies.
Not workbook based.

That is the trifecta of "more expensive". ? I think you have a few options:
-Use Apologia but get a kit from Home Science Tools.
-Use a basic Internet-linked Usborne book and find a science kit.  Thames & Cosmos make good ones with plenty of activities.  We've had fun discovering more about physics with their Magic Or Science kit that has several different experiments.
-Buy a new set completely and have the box delivered with everything in it: Bookshark, Noeo, MBTP...would all fit what you want.
-sign up for a monthly subscription box to help you springboard onto other subjects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Open and go.
Kit with supplies.
Not workbook based.

That is the trifecta of "more expensive". ? I think you have a few options:
-Use Apologia but get a kit from Home Science Tools.
-Use a basic Internet-linked Usborne book and find a science kit.  Thames & Cosmos make good ones with plenty of activities.  We've had fun discovering more about physics with their Magic Or Science kit that has several different experiments.
-Buy a new set completely and have the box delivered with everything in it: Bookshark, Noeo, MBTP...would all fit what you want.
-sign up for a monthly subscription box to help you springboard onto other subjects.

I think my main issue is needing more hands on activities so I need to invest money in replenishing a bunch of supplies. I have tons of lab books and science books and everything, just low on supplies. I will check out the Thames and Cosmos kits. Right now, we are working on the Chemistry Magic tricks set and realized he knows nothing about acids and bases. I might put that up and use the Apologia Physics and Chemistry book and get the supplies I need with that.