Menu

Rod and Staff Bible

homemommy83

Our family is loving Rod and Staff textbooks for Math, English, Spelling, Social Studies, and Science.  We use CLE for reading in levels 4-8, but wasnt a huge fan of levels 1-2...3 was good, but not all of my kids have been ready for it.

I have wondered if any of you have tried this Bible program and what your thoughts were.  I mentioned above that we love their other books because we...I know oddly.... I love simple black and white textbooks.... and so that is a plus for us.  I have looked at their scope and sequence, but have never seen the actual books nor heard of anyone using them.

So I was wondering if anyone else has used them in the Hive and what they thought of them.

Brenda

Edited by homemommy83
  • Like 1

What ages? I have used the Preschool Bible coloring book and reader with all of my kids and babysitting kids. I used the Rod and Staff reading program in 1st grade with both of my olders which is their Bible and reading program in one. It ties in with the phonics in 1st grade and is basically the whole curric at that age. After 1st when they have the separate phonics and English, I just dropped the reading/Bible in the past to take up more WTM style of reading alongsided SOTW.  I now own the 2nd grade reading/Bible and plan on at least going through it with my now preschooler. I decided they are great as readers for reading aloud practice and Bible knowledge. It won't stop me from still reading lots of SOTW picture books and read alouds. I just plan on keeping up the Bible as their reading aloud practice. 

But I haven't seen anything beyond the 2nd grade, so I don't know if that is helpful to you at all. 

BTW, I love R&S and its simplicity in all subjects. We have used R&S math, English, and spelling all the way through and will continue with those with my last child as well. I have never seen anything that remotely tempted me away all the way through high school! 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2018 at 12:59 PM, hollyhock2 said:

6 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

What ages? I have used the Preschool Bible coloring book and reader with all of my kids and babysitting kids. I used the Rod and Staff reading program in 1st grade with both of my olders which is their Bible and reading program in one. It ties in with the phonics in 1st grade and is basically the whole curric at that age. After 1st when they have the separate phonics and English, I just dropped the reading/Bible in the past to take up more WTM style of reading alongsided SOTW.  I now own the 2nd grade reading/Bible and plan on at least going through it with my now preschooler. I decided they are great as readers for reading aloud practice and Bible knowledge. It won't stop me from still reading lots of SOTW picture books and read alouds. I just plan on keeping up the Bible as their reading aloud practice. 

But I haven't seen anything beyond the 2nd grade, so I don't know if that is helpful to you at all. 

BTW, I love R&S and its simplicity in all subjects. We have used R&S math, English, and spelling all the way through and will continue with those with my last child as well. I have never seen anything that remotely tempted me away all the way through high school! 

I do the preschool books with my kids.  I am interested heavily in levels 1-4 as well as 5-8.  I plan to do Apologia in levels 5-8, but that is more doctrinal...so I have wondered if the 5-8 levels were enjoyed by those that purchased them.

Thank you for your reply as it really encourged me.

Brenda

4 hours ago, Seasons said:

We used R&S Bible 1-5, then tried  CLE for 6 and returned to R&S for 7 and just started 8 this week. We love the series.  We study R&S Bible together using the NIV rather than the suggested King James version.  

Thank you.  Do you think levels 5-8 are better done as a family or mostly independently?  

Brenda

Each lesson/week has four parts -  A B C and D. It could all be done independently but we usually do section A together. That section can take a long time, especially if he is looking up all of the references by himself. More importantly, studying it together allows for discussion. He usually completes the other sections on his own. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seasons said:

Each lesson/week has four parts -  A B C and D. It could all be done independently but we usually do section A together. That section can take a long time, especially if he is looking up all of the references by himself. More importantly, studying it together allows for discussion. He usually completes the other sections on his own. 

Thank you, that helps so much.  This is exactly what I am looking for....something that we can work together on and is separated in independent study sections.  I think this will be a winner?.

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, Servant4Christ said:

We are now using these 3 subjects (plus their science) and love them, too.

I liked their little second grade science workbook (and the music course in grades 1-3 if you haven't looked at it, you might want to.) I should look at science beyond it. I always did kind of the WTM style elem. science before we got into co-ops that usually chose Apologia. The little 2nd grade one was just a good little add on to picture books and such to have around.