Menu

Elemental science addt'l books

SereneHome

Do you have the curriculum in hand? At the front or back...cannot recall but there should be a list of additional recommended books outside of the necessary spines. Many of those are great and necessary to add in. I found the curriculum wasn't enough without adding more books. We didn't use logic but we got through half of bio grammar and had chem grammar too but ended up giving it away and not using it. I do remember though most of the recommended books were good. 

We used Biology (Logic) last year. I just looked for whatever our library had on that week's topic and checked out several, then let the kids read as many as they were interested in. Sometimes I would have them write about what they'd learned from the books.

In case you're interested - when you do the part about genetics (one of the early weeks, I think), here's an activity that might be useful: http://serendipstudio.org/exchange/waldron/dragongenetics2 The main activity uses dragons and is geared toward high school students. I developed the unicorn version, geared toward middle school or upper elementary students, which you can find if you scroll down and look under where it says "attachments." (I have zero affiliation with the site other than that I shared my adaptation with them and they offered to post it there so others could use it. It's totally free - no benefit to me from anyone using it.)

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, nixpix5 said:

Do you have the curriculum in hand? At the front or back...cannot recall but there should be a list of additional recommended books outside of the necessary spines. Many of those are great and necessary to add in. I found the curriculum wasn't enough without adding more books. We didn't use logic but we got through half of bio grammar and had chem grammar too but ended up giving it away and not using it. I do remember though most of the recommended books were good. 

I looked like 10 times and don't see it for Biology!! ?  There are some suggestions for chemistry, but not biology

2 hours ago, SereneHome said:

I looked like 10 times and don't see it for Biology!! ?  There are some suggestions for chemistry, but not biology

They must not do it for the logic stage:( I haven't had a logic kiddo in a while so I am not even sure what are good book recommendations. Hopefully someone can jump in with some ideas ?

Edited by nixpix5