Menu

Geometrical Constructs

I'm making my wish list for this, based on another thread. I remember that someone mentioned Keys to Geometry as one choice. For those of you who have done this, what are your favourites? Does Dressler's cover this? I have a proofs based geometry all set, but have a couple of old Dressler books (with no teacher manuals or answer keys, so they're useless for me as a main course since I somehow missed Geometry and still managed to finish Trig.)

Dressler's Geometry has loads of constructions at the end of most of the chapters. I highly recommend them.

I do have an answer key to this book but it is bare bones answers only. I could probably arrange for you to borrow it if necessary.

Jane

Jane, you are one of my math heroes/heriones. I bought, for low, low, low prices, Reviewing Plane Geometry, c 1950 and Geometry from 1973. I'll go put answer keys on my wish list for now as I have until the summer to get this going. Dd won't be ready in January as I'd hoped (I think I was hoping for a radical change in her work habits, whereas things are changing much more slowly, but a bit at a time.)

ETA the main program we have, because it has a TM & a solution guide, is Birkhoff & Beatley, a reprint from the AMS. Guess what--I FINALLY looked at the Contents since learning this cool info about contructions, and there is an entire chapter on it (chapter 6.) Now, I could have been smart and just gone and looked at it first, but I thought I remembered Charon discussing proofs. Of course, years ago he recommended Solomonovich (sp), but I could never teach that one with no background in Geometry.

Here are the chapters (is this a good order?)

1. Reasoning: The Nature of Proof

2. The Five Fundamental Principals

3. The Seven Basic Theorems

4. Parallel Lines and Networks

5. The Circle and Regular Polynomials

6. Constructions with Straightedge and Compasses

7. Area and Length

8. Continuous Variation

9. Loci

10. Reasoning, Abstract Logical Systems.

I read this without any reading glasses in low light, so punctuation may not be correct!

Edited by Karin