Menu

First day for my kids at public school

Terabith

Oh, she totally overreacts!  (She’s her mother’s daughter in that way.)   She is very sensitive to criticism and if she senses even mild disapproval or frustration, she shuts down.  It was really what killed homeschooling for us.  Any time something didn’t come easily (and with a constellation of weird learning disabilities, a lot did not), she would think I was angry or frustrated, even if I was not, and she would spiral and her brain shut down.  So once she was a fluent reader, we sent her to school.  (The experts agreed she was unlikely to learn to read in a group.)   The frustration and anxiety and sensitivity is part of her disability, even if the locker issue isn’t.   So when other kids would be frazzled and frustrated, her brain shut off and she got lost, which made her more frustrated and more panicked.  

According to Facebook, a bunch of other kids were upset about the weight being announced publicly in pe, and the lunch lady has a rep for being a jerk.  So I don’t think those things were her.  And it’s possible there is some confusion about her code.  Maybe someone else is using it by mistake.  

Hopefully she is happy when I pick her up. I already planned to play hooky with them tomorrow because we got Hamilton tickets and are planning to do some DC tourism and meet new baby cousins.  Not the best timing but...that’s when we were able to get tickets.  

• Like 3

She came out happy!  She still can’t do the locker herself, but the special ed teacher is on it and they were proactive in helping her and kept her calm.  She said she met some nice girls and had lunch with them.  Much better day!

Guidance counselor says older dd’s schedule might not be fixable, and she might be stuck with extra pe.  Hoping she can get into choir but that needs permission from director, so have email out to her.  We had asked about auditions several times, including over the summer and at the end of previous school year, but nobody got back to us.  But I guess worst case scenario of extra pe isn’t the end of the world. 

• Like 6