Menu

Learning-Adventures

Silverwood

Has anyone used this? Do you feel it included enough history and science, or did you have to add to it? I have looked at the sample, and love how everything is tied together but could not tell if it was strong enough in history and science to suit our needs. We are considering the first volume.

We used the third volume.

Pros:
Everything came in one nice, neat, package.  I divided the ream of paper they sent into several binders, so we only worked with one small binder at a time over the 6-8 weeks of each unit.
The books were good, not overwhelming, and the language arts was nicely tied in.
The subjects had a lot of variety and there were lots of different projects.

Cons:
The history and science was often lectures that were supplemented with projects and such.  We didn't like them.  I eventually just had my kid read through them and we used a lot of internet links to supplement and bring it out.  Reading Like A Historian was a good site, as well as Untamed Science, but LA felt decidedly light on fact.
We didn't do all the projects.  A lot revolved around food, and between certain ingredients being scarce for us and others I didn't plan for well enough (we were not doing Mexican food if we just had enchiladas the night before. Oops), they just didn't work out.  Others were a lot of cut and paste type things that were not a good fit for my kid.

Would I use it again?  Probably, if we had the same circumstances.  I'd scrap their science entirely, though, and use a separate program.