Menu

Mapping the World With Art

Renochka

For those who use Mapping the World With Art, what size paper do you use? I'm confused about where on the page to start? I assume there are multiple pages we will need to tape? Am I missing where these directions are? Also, do you read the history portion and then draw? For example, does Map Drawing 1 coordinate with reading 1: The Very Earliest Maps? Guide me please! I feel like I'm missing something. Thanks!

We did this a couple of years ago, and so I might not be remembering everything totally accurate but what I remember is ....

we did the cartography history part in a short 15-20 mins and occasionally we did the activity on Tuesday and did the drawing part for maybe 30 mins on Thursday. I dont remember there being any correlation in the two. Only that the history started at the beginning and the drawing started with the Tigris and Euphrates and moved historically from there. We  did it kind of minimalisticly, you could do more if you wanted

Each drawing lesson we did in a slightly oversized sketchbook. (11x14) she teaches you how to draw the geography of different parts Mesopotamia, then Nile, then Greece, Italy , etc... we do each on its own page  then at the end of the year we had a poster board they put the lessons together and drew the whole world  . I didn’t make them memorize it . If I did I would have had them practice each drawing more. 

She tells you where on the page to start each map

Edited by Dudley
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

We did this a couple of years ago, and so I might not be remembering everything totally accurate but what I remember is ....

we did the cartography history part in a short 15-20 mins and occasionally we did the activity on Tuesday and did the drawing part for maybe 30 mins on Thursday. I dont remember there being any correlation in the two. Only that the history started at the beginning and the drawing started with the Tigris and Euphrates and moved historically from there. We  did it kind of minimalisticly, you could do more if you wanted

Each drawing lesson we did in a slightly oversized sketchbook. (11x14) she teaches you how to draw the geography of different parts Mesopotamia, then Nile, then Greece, Italy , etc... we do each on its own page  then at the end of the year we had a poster board they put the lessons together and drew the whole world  . I didn’t make them memorize it . If I did I would have had them practice each drawing more. 

She tells you where on the page to start each map

Thank for the response! So as the child progresses each drawing is separate? I thought it was to be ONE drawing of the world? 

Each drawing is separate. though one week might build on  another as you are learning to draw a larger area. but each drawing you start with a clean sheet of paper, that is effectively practice for the big project.

At the end of the year, we spent about 2-3 weeks where we took all we learned and starting on a blank large poster we drew one new map of the world.  

and as I look back at the lessons, there is correlation that as you read about the discovery of japan you may draw japan, but that is not every week.