Menu

MCT Advanced Academic Writing?

GeoKitty

So DD was going to do ByLine with older brother.  We started it yesterday. She hated it.  He loved it.  She begged to go back to MCT.  So we will.... but we are up to AAW1.  I own it.  Anyone use it and actually like it?  

Edited by GeoKitty
Spelling error

I don't. I think his examples are poor ones that I wouldn't want my kids replicating. He uses way too many block quotes and lets his quotes be too dominate a factor in the paper. His use of a single sentence or couple of sentences to introduce block quotes and his not incorporating any student written sentences discussing the quote afterward prior to beginning a new paragraph are poor form from my perspective. 

If my kids turned in papers written like those examples, I wouldn't accept them. I would tell them that they needed to improve their argument by relying on shorter, better integrated quotes and more of their own writing.

The one time I used the book I actually used it to teach them what not to do and why.

(Sorry if that is incoherent. I woke up in the middle of the night with a migraine. I found this post where I discussed this in the past: 

• Haha 1

Thank you for your response.  And your link.... I actually do remember that post.... I’ll have to go look at AAW.  DD is in the middle of WWTW2, finised Magic Lens 1and the practice book , and is ready for the Poetry book.  My edition is from 2015... maybe it is slightly improved.  

When I quickly glanced through it, I thought we could work with it since Dd is a natural writer.  Can you recommend something for academic writing and learning how to incorporate quotes properly? This isn’t new to her.... she just hasn’t developed comfort with it yet... and I want her to learn properly.  Which ByLine would have done..... but like I said.... she rebeled.   Thank,you so much.