Menu

New(ish) HWT resources

JIC anyone hasn’t perused the HWT website recently, they now have a new series to help develop writing skills from K-5th grade.  It is super scaffolded from what I can tell.  I was looking for more print material practice I didn’t have to do myself, and saw these.  The lower grades is more copywork, large double lines, lots of help, and some intro independent writing, with older grades having smaller lines, some prompts, and more self-directed writing.  I do wish they had better teacher guides, but they do have free pdf guides atm with some tips.

As a better, even more awesome product, they now have Can-Do print.  It’s a fifth grade and up handwriting book (they stop HWT and switch to cursive in third grade).  The lines are super tiny, so I suspect kids with spacing or dysgraphia concerns will have some difficulty.  But the Building writers print book has slowly decreasing line sizes so I’ll build up to Can-Do print.  Like the can-do cursive book, it’s more mature and less kiddie, for those needing that too.  I wish they had continued incremental handwriting practice beyond 2nd grade for kids who need years of extra practice.  Or a reversal book, etc.  Since the whole program was developed by an OT for kids with SN, I would think they’d continue development along that line also.  But who am I to complain?  ?. I’m grateful for enough new writing practice to last another year +.

• Like 3

Yup, I saw that! The Building Writers does look good! Hadn't really looked at the line sizes, because I figured we'd be scribing. I am excited because it seems like the expectations merge CC goals and language development. I've been doing a lot of intensive language work with my ds, and that's sort of the reality, that language and outputs are connected. The progression seemed solid, like something we can work with.

• Like 1