Menu

3rd Grade World History Ideas

alisha

I'm trying to come up with something for my 3rd grader for World History. This past year, we read through "The complete book of US History" (he was in 2nd and his brother in 5th). Usually, I combine them, especially in history, but not sure if that will work as big brother is doing Notgrass' "Uncle Sam and You" for 6th grade.

So, I'm trying to find something easy, to implement. He probably won't read anything on his own, as he will be doing that for other subjects. But we are willing to read together snuggled on the couch if it's in small increments (only because we will be doing a bunch of reading together for other subjects as well.) Maybe a list of living books? But I'm not sure how to make it encompass world history. Not sure what my other options are-we kind of petered out on SOTW. Help? Ideas?

17 hours ago, LauraBeth475 said:

Child’s History of the World

I really like this one for 2nd and 3rd grade. It has a nice flow, and it is easy to understand and digest. I often pull it from the shelf when I need information about events I deem important but SOTW doesn't cover as well. With that said, make sure you find an updated copy as the first printing is ripe with racism. The Calvert School version has fixed most of those issues but occasionally you will find a significant slant or a potential moment of cringing. I have edited a couple of sentences on the fly but for the most part, it is great.

4 minutes ago, nixpix5 said:

I really like this one for 2nd and 3rd grade. It has a nice flow, and it is easy to understand and digest. I often pull it from the shelf when I need information about events I deem important but SOTW doesn't cover as well. With that said, make sure you find an updated copy as the first printing is ripe with racism. The Calvert School version has fixed most of those issues but occasionally you will find a significant slant or a potential moment of cringing. I have edited a couple of sentences on the fly but for the most part, it is great.

Thanks for the warning.  I've only ever seen the Calvert copy.

3 minutes ago, LauraBeth475 said:

Thanks for the warning.  I've only ever seen the Calvert copy.

I think it would be super hard to find an older version but my library store often has really old books for a quarter (got an original Burgess Bird Book there!) so I wanted to mention it just in case you stumble upon an older copy and you think they are equal. A ton of editing was done. The old copy had a part if I remember correctly that talks about everyone who lived around the fertile crescent (Tigris and Euphrates) were white. They literally said there were 3 families of white people and everyone descended from them. It was BS crazy. That whole section was redone and is now accurate. That is just one example of issues with the old one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nixpix5 said:

I think it would be super hard to find an older version but my library store often has really old books for a quarter (got an original Burgess Bird Book there!) so I wanted to mention it just in case you stumble upon an older copy and you think they are equal. A ton of editing was done. The old copy had a part if I remember correctly that talks about everyone who lived around the fertile crescent (Tigris and Euphrates) were white. They literally said there were 3 families of white people and everyone descended from them. It was BS crazy. That whole section was redone and is now accurate. That is just one example of issues with the old one.

Hoo boy.  Don't these people understand that before sunscreen and clothing the white skin thing did not work well in large parts of the world? ?

• Haha 1