Menu

Scheduling Megawords

MamaHill

My 6th grader is not a natural speller, and she's completed through AAS 4.  I am switching her to Megawords 1 for her 6th grade year.

In reviewing the curriculum, I'm unsure how many pages per day I should schedule.  Spelling is one of her 5x/week subjects, as she needs frequent repetition.

What do you think is a realistic daily goal for a 6th grader?

(I'm not a schedule-every-day-for-the-year type of planner.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it might take us to work through the first book.)

My struggling speller did 1/2 to 1 full page a day. Usually it was a full page, but for ones that were going to take more than 10-15 minutes, I broke them in half, as I was also spending an additional 15 min/day on Spelling through individualized/remedial work. We also skipped the assessment readings, as we had other things that allowed me to verify how he was doing. We completed 1 book, plus 1/4 to 1/3 of the next book in 1 school year.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

We do about 2 levels a school year. My kids don't spend more than about 15 minutes day on spelling. They are not natural spellers, but the exercises in MW have helped them tremendously. 

That's so encouraging to hear.  My daughter has done well with AAS but she wants to move on to something different.  She loves workbook-y type learning, and enjoys doing her own thing. I realize that MW isn't totally hands-off for me, but I think it will be a better balance for her.