Menu

Teachers Guides

mom2bee

What do you love (or loathe) about the teachers guides for the various series that you've used?

What role does the Teachers Guides play in your use or disuse of a program? How do you use them? How far in advance do you read/prep before teaching to the student?

Do you pre-read/study the TG before a unit, or do you use it day-by-day as you teach, etc?

Have you noticed that you prefer a different style/type of teachers guide depending on the subject?

I have a preference for clear and concise:

Daily list of supplies
Daily objectives
Clear teaching helps

I also like to have everything upfront for the unit/week.  Some teachers' guides I use a lot (like Right Start, which has all of the above), some are more loose (like ELTL, which is more conversational in nature).  But yeah, I spend time pre-reading so I can make adjustments for our house.  As I put everything into our schedule, I read through each lesson and make a note of anything I know I will want to specifically notice later.

• Like 1

I never use teacher's guides if I can help it. The only thing I've used them for so far is to correct work if they have answers. If a program has a teacher's guide that is integral to the curriculum, I am less likely to use that curriculum. I guess I just like things simple and all-in-one if possible. My one exception is the WWE teacher book. I love it as a reference.