Menu

Favorite read alouds for American history post Civil War?

kokotg

Well, Civil War and after, that is. I'm trying to put together history for next year (my boys will be 8 and 6 then), and I have some ideas for fiction read alouds, but I'd love some personal recommendations. I've looked through book lists from Sonlight and Winterpromise so far and pulled some ideas from there. I don't necessarily need actual historical fiction--could also be books written in the time period or that take place in a certain time period and give a good feel for what life was like then. TIA!

The Snow Walker by Margaret K. Wetterer

<http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Walker-My-Own-History/dp/087614959X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226848200&sr=1-1>

Based on a true story, this non-fiction storybook takes place in the Bronx in 1888 right after the great blizzard. It tells of a boy who goes out in the snow to help his family and ends up helping many other snowbound people in his neighborhood. The story has excitement and bravery. I think it is an excellent example of how one person can make a difference.

We used The Civil War for Kids. This book had chapters which alternated between historical (factual) information and kind of "life-in-the times". There are some great little projects in it like making hard tack and a cipher, and a BUNCH of other stuff that I don't remember now. At any rate, I really liked how it alternated between the true history stuff and more of the cultural stuff.

For historical fiction my ds liked Rifles for Watie and Behind Rebel Lines. We also did Across Five Aprils, but I think that would be better for older dc. There isn't much "action."