Menu

What to use after Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading?

AMK

My daughter is almost 7 and is close to finishing Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading. I am looking for some advice for what to use after this? She is a strong reader and is reading a variety of chapter books on her own. But I am unsure where to go next with reading instruction. She will also be continuing First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease Level 1. Thank you!

With DD10, when she finished OPGTTR, I replaced it in the school routine with AAS.  AAS reiterates the phonics rules as it goes along, from the other angle.  WWE took care of reading comprehension through narration practice, and other than that, all she needed was a good booklist and weekly library visits.  

I did a lot of reading aloud to DD when she was learning to read, but when she reached a certain point of fluency, I wanted her to start reading more on her own, so I tried a few manipulations that really worked.  First, I put a lamp over her bed, and acted like reading at bedtime was a HUGE privilege... "Well, you can read for just for a few minutes, but no longer!" Second, I got "too busy" to read more of an exciting story, mid-adventure, and left the book lying around.  Third, I really worked my tail off finding books she enjoyed.  This forum, plus a book called Honey for a Child's Heart, helped with that.  I did not time her reading or give external rewards for it, because I think that can deter the taking of ownership by a young reader.  

For DD6, he's half-way through OPGTTR, but seems to need more tactile reinforcement, so I've already added AAS1 alongside it.  I'm still reading aloud a lot for him.  I look forward to reading others' ideas!  

Both of my older boys have been strong independent readers by the time we finished OPGTR, but I still felt they needed some more advanced phonics practice. They both did/do a ton of free reading, and a lot of it is even fairly high quality literature, but that doesn’t give them enough focused practice with longer, multi syllable words or the rarer phonograms. 

We have been using Wise Owl Polysyllables for a couple years now, and I really like it.  It targets words that are longer and more advanced, but still fully phonetic.  For example, it might have the word amplify. Then it will have a couple sentences using the word in such a way that the student can infer Its meaning. Each page is just filled with ten or so words with their sentences.

I just have my boys read one page out loud to me each day. My oldest has actually gone through the whole book and now I am having him start back at the beginning because it is such quick, painless practice, but I find it really improves their decoding and fluency. 

Wendy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...