Menu

How do I find testing? Do I need it?

Hanna

We have been homeschooling for a year and while making great progress, I do think it is harder than it should be.  My oldest is 2nd grade (age 8).  We are still struggling with reading.  While I was happy to say "late bloomer" to this point, I wonder about getting a psycho educational evaluation.  How does one go about doing that?  (We are currently overseas, but I imagine I would travel to the US to do anything of that sort.)  And what exactly would a diagnosis get me?  Sorry for the beginner questions, I would love help/suggestions etc.

We've had people here find help overseas. Just depends on where you are. Ideally the tester will be able to speak the language of the dc. If not, then I would come back to the US or travel to a nearby country where the tester is fluent in the dc's native language, yes.

Where will you be going if you come back to the US? Major cities make it easy. It's really down to funding and whether you're private pay or using insurance. Private pay, call any psych or neuropsych and make the appt, done. If insurance, you'll typically need a referral from a ped and to go through your insurance hoops.

Yes, if you have concerns, it's time. Now if you're going to be here a while (6 months, whatever), you might have some luxuries. Like around here a reading tutor will run the CTOPP for $75 and get you going. You could look at the results from that and decide what else you want. But since you know you're coming for this, you want to go straight away to someone who specializes in SLDs. If you suspect he's gifted, look for a Hoagies' Gifted psych if you want. For psychs specializing in dyslexia, you can look on the Learning Ally lists, google for people associated with dyslexia support orgs where you'll be, etc. 

You would like IQ, achievement, screening for ADHD, the CTOPP, and whatever else the psych wants to throw in. Me personally, I would go get his eyes checked by a developmental optometrist while you're at it. Also, take the time to look online for tests for retained reflexes. They do NOT cause the dyslexia, but having issues like that are so, so common along with these issues that you might as well check, know, get it sorted out. Does he have any physical difficulty with writing? Is it painful or unusually arduous? You may want an OT eval as well.

Take the plunge. Evals are good and will give you information to make good decisions. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, PeterPan said:

Yes, if you have concerns, it's time. 

That’s really what I needed to hear. Thank you so much. 

Im in Cairo so not too much around. I’ll have to go to London or US to do this. Home is DC, so I’m sure we can find what we need there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can find what you need in DC - with a long wait list (6 mos to a year or more!) so make appointments early before securing those travel plans.  If you are there with the US Embassy/AID you might be able to find someone/spouse that could help get you started - maybe even the health unit - but if not, then again, plan waaaay ahead.