Menu

Roman Roads: Old Western Culture

Have any of you used the DVDs (or streaming service) of the OWC without using all of the reading selections? We would use all of The Epics and The Aeneid; Beowulf, Oedipus the King, and a few other readings scattered here and there, but otherwise, just watch. I would like to incorporate them into World Lit, W. History, Philosophy, and British Lit. 

What do you think?

Thanks

I think it would work, OP. The lectures are pretty much stand-alone and complete. I mean, if one were a slacker mom, one could, say, watch the videos and not do the reading in order to have somewhat intelligent conversations with one's child who is required to do the readings. Theoretically. ? So, yes, I think that just using selected portions of the curriculum to incorporate into the rest of your courses is a fabulous approach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

I think it would work, OP. The lectures are pretty much stand-alone and complete. I mean, if one were a slacker mom, one could, say, watch the videos and not do the reading in order to have somewhat intelligent conversations with one's child who is required to do the readings. Theoretically. ? So, yes, I think that just using selected portions of the curriculum to incorporate into the rest of your courses is a fabulous approach.

Great! I'm glad you thought about this theoretical situation to help me in what I needed to know! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2018 at 10:56 AM, JoJosMom said:

On 6/1/2018 at 9:14 PM, Targhee said:

?We have OWC Ancients on the shelf. I really want to do it, but I am trying to find a way to get history -hater girl to come along with me. Perhaps this approach would work?

Targhee, I think we have a winner in advice from JoJosMom! OWC still has Early Moderns in production, so I'm going to do World Lit. and History this next year, saving British Lit for the following year. That way, i can use those materials at that time. I hope they at least The Victorian Poets (Rise of England is available for pre-order, now). 

• Like 2