Menu

RSO Life Level 1 suitability for 5th grade?

I am considering using RSO Life which, according to their website, is targeted for 1st grade.  I would be using it for a 1st, 3rd and 5th grader.  I’ve read varying opinions on its suitability for older ages.  If you have used this, can you give me your thoughts on this for a fifth grader?  She is average, did RSO Chemistry this year.  If you felt the need to supplement, what did you use and how?  Thanks!

I think RSO biology I would not be enough science for 5th grade.    It is the most simple of all of their programs.   BUT, you could always use it as a spine and add in more readings from age-appropriate books for your 5th grader.  That way everyone can study the same topic in science.  (I know that is kind of fun.)   

I'm going to have a 1st and 5th next year. 1st will be using Life lvl 1, 5th will be using Biology lvl 2. She will probably tag along with her little sis as much as she can just because she loves all science and will want to be a part of it, but she did the same program when she was in 1st. I haven't really looked at it since then, but I remember it being pretty on target for age, interest, and ability (except the writing parts but that's because she struggles with that), so I'm thinking too light for 5th. Unless the kid isn't really into science and you're going for exposure, then maybe with some added reading and output you could make it work. DD9 is obsessed with all things science and wants to be a vet. I wouldn't consider Life 1 enough for a similar kid. 

• Like 1

Life 1 is not enough for 5th grade. If I were to use it with a 5th grader, I would put my own supplements together based on the topic we were studying - anatomy or botany or whatever. I would look for books, but also find some extra activities -demonstrations and experiments - for the older one.

I will have a 2nd and 5th grader. My 5th grader hasn't done a lot of "structured" science previously. We will be using RSO Life 1, but I'm beefing it up for my 10 year old. RSO Bio 2 is too advanced for her, and she would be miserable (she has some special learning needs, so your child might be totally fine with Bio 2- it's just too much for mine definitely). I'm using some of the reading selections from RSO Bio 2, and will do additional books, activities, writing assignments etc to make it work. The labs seem really fun for both of my girls, and doesn't seem like it will be too difficult to add depth to it for my older daughter.

Yes, I looked at RSO biology 2 and quickly decided we weren’t ready for that stage quite yet.  I’m considering now having 1st and 3rd in RSO Life and then having 5th grader either do RS4K Focus on Biology, having it spread out over the year while she also helps 1st grader with scribing in his notebook for Life.  .That way she will be getting a taste on her own level, as well as helping and relearning from Life.  Other option is having her do Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology.  With this she will likely have less time to help 1st grader and I wonder if I might be stretching myself too thin doing two separate sciences.  I really like having them together when we can.  Any thoughts on these options?