Menu

Explain to me sequence of WTM language arts

Wolf Pack

This topic is probably thoroughly covered in another thread, but I haven't been able to find it

Can some experienced users tell me how all of the components of the WTM language arts are supposed to be sequenced and used if you did it ideally? And which instructor manuals are truly necessary for each part? 

I can't wrap my mind around what's "necessary" and whats supplemental if you used this as your primary language arts program. I've got a 7 and 9 year old with scattered language arts experience and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them next year. Just not sure how all of the parts work together. 

5 hours ago, Wolf Pack said:

This topic is probably thoroughly covered in another thread, but I haven't been able to find it

Can some experienced users tell me how all of the components of the WTM language arts are supposed to be sequenced and used if you did it ideally? And which instructor manuals are truly necessary for each part? 

I can't wrap my mind around what's "necessary" and whats supplemental if you used this as your primary language arts program. I've got a 7 and 9 year old with scattered language arts experience and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them next year. Just not sure how all of the parts work together. 

You'll feel a lot more flexibility in the approach if you understand what she meant *conceptually* and then use the tools that work for your family, rather than viewing it as list of PHP-published curriculum. SWB has recorded talks you can download for usually around $5 and of course WTM has chapters for each area. I suggest starting with WTM, reading just the chapters that apply to the ages of your dc, and then getting her convention talks on writing, homeschooling the 2nd time, etc.

• Like 1

Language Arts study includes: *Reading: Skills (this is learning to read, developing fluency, developing reading stamina), *Reading: Literature (these are the Great Books that coincide with your history study), SpellingWritingGrammar, and Handwriting.

Language Arts

Subjects

Kindergarten

1st Grade

2nd Grade

3rd Grade

4th Grade

Reading: Skills

*This is teaching your child to read using a primer like Ordinary Parent’s Guide to Teaching Reading, Teaching Your Child to Reading in 100 Easy Lessons, All About Reading, etc.

*This will include a phonics workbook like MCP Plaid Phonics or Explode the Code

*This also includes using Phonetic Readers like Bob Books then later beginning chapter books like Frog and Toad

*The next stage would be reading longer chapter books like The Boxcar Children, The Littles, Stone Fox, etc.

*Begin primer

*LOTS of read alouds

*Nursery Rhymes

*Songs

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level K

*Continue with the reading primer

*Add phonetic readers when child is ready (may happen in kindergarten)

*LOTS of read alouds

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level A

*Continue with the reading primer (*Primer is usually finished in the 2nd grade but continue in the 3rd grade until complete)

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level B

*Begin short chapter books when child is ready (may happen before 2nd grade). The books selected should be at the student’s “instructional level” meaning they should be slightly challenging but not to the point of frustration.

*LOTS of read alouds

Continue with the reading primer until finished

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level C

*Child may (or may not) be ready for longer chapter books.

The books selected should be at the student’s “instructional level” meaning they should be slightly challenging but not to the point of frustration.

*Student continues to read books slight challenging books.

*You won’t continue with MCP Plaid Phonics level D because the activities in Spelling Workout will begin to overlap with this (if you go with Spelling Workout)

Reading: Literature

*This is the list of Great Books that you choose to read that coincide with your history study

*Parent/Teacher reads the Great Books to the student.

*Student may be able to start reading some of the Great Books on his/her own.

Student reads some of the Great Books on his/her own.

Student reads the Great Books on his/her own.

Writing

*This includes, copywork, narration, dictation

Writing With Ease Level 1 – There is only one book to purchase. Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Writing With Ease Level 2 – Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Writing With Ease Level 3 – Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Writing With Ease Level 4 – Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Grammar

First Language Lessons Level 1 – There is only one book to purchase.

First Language Lessons Level 2 – There is only one book to purchase.

First Language Lessons Level 3 – Teacher book and student workbook are separate. You need both, in my opinion.

First Language Lessons Level 4 – Teacher book and student workbook are separate. You need both, in my opinion.

Spelling

Spelling Workout Levels A & B (This is per SWB recommendation with the goal of completing all levels by the end of 6th grade

Spelling Workout C & D

Spelling Workout E

Spelling Workout F

Handwriting

Zaner-Bloser Level K

*You don’t need the Teacher’s editions for any of the levels.

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 1

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 2

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 3

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 4

*SWB says that skills subjects like phonics instruction, spelling, and grammar should be taught systematically (in order) and without skipping any levels.  I don’t know what grade your kids are in. The most I would skip with your 9 year old in regard to grammar would be levels 1 & 2 because they are pretty repetative. You may also be able to skip levels A & B with spelling (your call). As far as the reading primer (phonics instruction) goes, SWB highly recommends that yo finish whichever primer you started.  She says parent may be tempted to stop the phonics instruction when reading clicks for the student and the take off.  She says that often these kids never learn the skills needed to read harder, multi-syllable words and reading issues can develop later because of this.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 6:20 PM, stlily said:

Language Arts study includes: *Reading: Skills (this is learning to read, developing fluency, developing reading stamina), *Reading: Literature (these are the Great Books that coincide with your history study), SpellingWritingGrammar, and Handwriting.

Language Arts

Subjects

Kindergarten

1st Grade

2nd Grade

3rd Grade

4th Grade

Reading: Skills

*This is teaching your child to read using a primer like Ordinary Parent’s Guide to Teaching Reading, Teaching Your Child to Reading in 100 Easy Lessons, All About Reading, etc.

*This will include a phonics workbook like MCP Plaid Phonics or Explode the Code

*This also includes using Phonetic Readers like Bob Books then later beginning chapter books like Frog and Toad

*The next stage would be reading longer chapter books like The Boxcar Children, The Littles, Stone Fox, etc.

*Begin primer

*LOTS of read alouds

*Nursery Rhymes

*Songs

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level K

*Continue with the reading primer

*Add phonetic readers when child is ready (may happen in kindergarten)

*LOTS of read alouds

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level A

*Continue with the reading primer (*Primer is usually finished in the 2nd grade but continue in the 3rd grade until complete)

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level B

*Begin short chapter books when child is ready (may happen before 2nd grade). The books selected should be at the student’s “instructional level” meaning they should be slightly challenging but not to the point of frustration.

*LOTS of read alouds

Continue with the reading primer until finished

*MCP Plaid Phonics (2011) – Level C

*Child may (or may not) be ready for longer chapter books.

The books selected should be at the student’s “instructional level” meaning they should be slightly challenging but not to the point of frustration.

*Student continues to read books slight challenging books.

*You won’t continue with MCP Plaid Phonics level D because the activities in Spelling Workout will begin to overlap with this (if you go with Spelling Workout)

Reading: Literature

*This is the list of Great Books that you choose to read that coincide with your history study

*Student may be able to start reading some of the Great Books on his/her own.

Student reads some of the Great Books on his/her own.

Student reads the Great Books on his/her own.

Writing

*This includes, copywork, narration, dictation

Writing With Ease Level 1 – There is only one book to purchase. Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Writing With Ease Level 2 – Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Writing With Ease Level 3 – Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Writing With Ease Level 4 – Teacher book and student pages are all in one book.

Grammar

First Language Lessons Level 1 – There is only one book to purchase.

First Language Lessons Level 2 – There is only one book to purchase.

First Language Lessons Level 3 – Teacher book and student workbook are separate. You need both, in my opinion.

First Language Lessons Level 4 – Teacher book and student workbook are separate. You need both, in my opinion.

Spelling

Spelling Workout Levels A & B (This is per SWB recommendation with the goal of completing all levels by the end of 6th grade

Spelling Workout C & D

Spelling Workout E

Spelling Workout F

Handwriting

Zaner-Bloser Level K

*You don’t need the Teacher’s editions for any of the levels.

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 1

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 2

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 3

Zaner-Bloser – Grade 4

*SWB says that skills subjects like phonics instruction, spelling, and grammar should be taught systematically (in order) and without skipping any levels.  I don’t know what grade your kids are in. The most I would skip with your 9 year old in regard to grammar would be levels 1 & 2 because they are pretty repetative. You may also be able to skip levels A & B with spelling (your call). As far as the reading primer (phonics instruction) goes, SWB highly recommends that yo finish whichever primer you started.  She says parent may be tempted to stop the phonics instruction when reading clicks for the student and the take off.  She says that often these kids never learn the skills needed to read harder, multi-syllable words and reading issues can develop later because of this.

Hope this helps.

Did you create this?