Menu

On a roll....chemistry

SunshineMom

My kdd is facinated with chemistry....well, it is embarrasing but I never took chemistry. Can anyone suggest a good chemistry book for me to read? A book that I can also use with my daughter. We have a simple chemistry set along with books on various experiments however I have noticed that these books/kits leave out basic info. Additionally, can someone tell me a simple way to make my own molecue model?

We've done all three levels. It's the best science program I've used so far. It's published by Gravitas Press.

http://gravitaspublications.com/store/catalog/Pre_Level_1_K_3rd_Grade-1-1.html

Wanted to add, in RS4K, they make a model of a molecule using toothpicks and marshmallows. Also, I think you will find (even in the pre-level 1 book although it is written very simply) a good basic knowledge of definitions from which to spring board your Chemistry studies. Level 1 is meatier and Level 2 even more advanced. I am glad we started with the pre-level 1 and went from there but you could start at level 1 and slow down if necessary.

Edited by KJB

We've done all three levels. It's the best science program I've used so far. It's published by Gravitas Press.

http://gravitaspublications.com/store/catalog/Pre_Level_1_K_3rd_Grade-1-1.html

Wanted to add, in RS4K, they make a model of a molecule using toothpicks and marshmallows. Also, I think you will find (even in the pre-level 1 book although it is written very simply) a good basic knowledge of definitions from which to spring board your Chemistry studies. Level 1 is meatier and Level 2 even more advanced. I am glad we started with the pre-level 1 and went from there but you could start at level 1 and slow down if necessary.

:iagree: This is what we are using as well with 6yo dd. She loves it. We are also using a little book called "Elements" http://rainbowresource.com/product/Elements%3A+The+Ingredients+of+the+Universe+Introduction+to+Chemistry+Curriculum+with+CD/022079/1226629211-1748436

All my kids love using this!

We are studying Chemistry this year. Both my kids (3rd and K) and I are enjoying Real Science for Kids-Chemistry Level 1 and Adventures in Atoms and Molecules Book 1. RSFK has the detailed background info (that I needed a refresher on). I purchased the teacher's manual (essential), the student book and lab workbook. It might be to advanced for your little one, but I think it might be what you are looking for in terms of simplified accurate scientific information on the topic of Chemistry. The adventures book has straight experiments and bits and pieces of explanation. The two together are just what we were looking for. How cool is it that my girls are excited about making marshmellow molecule models?

Julie in Monterey

We are using RS4K Level 1 Biology right now. It is not as consistently good as the chemistry book. It has the same easy-to-read style. Some chapters are excellent; others are pretty simplistic. Even so, I'm sticking with RS4K through all of the levels in all of the sciences. I'm hoping that the Earth Sciences book comes out soon!

you can purchase molecular model kits at college bookstores or at amazon. we have this one from prentice hall: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=molecule+model+kit&sprefix=molecule+. the different atoms will be predrilled for the correct number and angle of bonds each one can take. marshmallows or gum drops and toothpicks are fun but this is more precise and less sticky. my son pointed out that there is no sodium in this kit; we do not understand why.

I agree with Real Science 4 Kids. She really knows her stuff (she has a a Ph. D. in science, and chemistry is her bag--I think her tertiary degree is in molecular biology). We're doing I with my younger two right now, and my eldest will do II in the late spring. My dd already knows a great deal about chemistry & biology as she has read many books on it for fun, and liked RS4K II when she looked at it. She'd be doing it now but I'm insisting she finish her Earth Science (which she doesn't enjoy much) first so that she's had it at least once in her school years. If your dc enjoy reading chemistry books for fun, you can always supplement with a science encyclopedia, but we've found they have their limitations so don't rely on those for more than supplementary reading. My 10 yo is doing the language and history Chemistry K.O.G.S. along with the RS4K I.

You can go through these as quickly as you like with an accellerated or gifted child. If your dc gets to high school chemistry before Algebra, you may wish to follow RS4K II with something like Sudocki's Conceptual Chemistry accompanied by the Chemistry Alive! CD Roms (and perhaps the Thinkwell Chemistry DC Roms--we have both.) Chemistry Alive! has cool lectures that go with the first 12 chapters of Conceptual Chemistry. We have these, along with the lab book (or else the lab book is on my Amazon want to buy list--since I also have our Conceptual Physics book, I sometimes forget what I have for which) on our shelf. Dr. Keller does plan on writing a high school science curricula once she's done with the jr high one, but I'm not sure when that will be out. I do know that it will be too late for my 13 yo who will be doing high school chemistry next year.

fwiw, my 13 yo plans to major in biochemistry at this point. She's only been slowed down in science by my insisting she finishes Earth Science. I highly doubt she'll take that in high school.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use this one for experiments. http://www.amazon.com/Fun-Mixing-Chemistry-Heidi-Gold-Dworkin/dp/0071348255

I also use the Usborne IL Science Encyclopedia and Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia as the main texts.

My DS is 7 and he requested to study chemistry this year. "Fun with Mixing and Chemistry" is age appropriate for his bio-age. In fact I actually have loved all the experiments we have done out of it. Even his four year old sister enjoys them.

Thank you for the book link, we love experiments. We took three weeks off from school-winter break and started up with school on Monday. The first subject wanted was Chemistry, so we are observing and mixing. Recently, my dd5yr has been interested in electricity and atoms. She has watched a Bill Nye the Science Guy video on electricity 3x in two days. She wants to try out the video experiments...I just love homeschooling!

I forgot to mention that I highly recommend the "Element Chart" by United Nuclear (which also has tons of other cool science geek gear), this chart is great because it has all the elements shown in picture form (ie. hydrogen is shown as the horsehead nebula). My son has learned so much about the elements and asked so many questions since we hung up this chart over a year ago. Not to mention it is a great conversation piece.

United Nuclear is also a great place to get labware, as is Edmund Scientific.

Have fun.