Where to go after Henle II? (x post)

So let's say you have already completed the following Latin programs:

Minimus

Minimus Secundas

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana I

Latina Christiana II

Lingua Angelica I

and you are currently in Henle I (units 1-2)

and plan to do Henle II (units 3-5) next year

After that, where would you go next? My ds will be in 7th grade at that point and seems to do well with Latin.

After that, where would you go next? My ds will be in 7th grade at that point and seems to do well with Latin.

Heather,

We are on roughly the same path as you and your son. My son used Prima Latina, LC I & II, and is using Henle I.

He is a 7th grader and is currently working on Units 6 - 10 of Henle I this year. He will do units 11 - 14 of Henle I in 8th grade, and then we'll move on to Henle II, but at a faster pace because I understand that the beginning section is a lot of review of Henle I. I asked about this here and on the Henle yahoo group, and this path seemed to be what most people recommended.

I have a syllabus that I made up for units 6 - 10 that we are using now. I'm modifying/revising it as we go along this year, and I would be happy to send it to you at the end of this year. Just remind me with a PM or email.

Brenda

Hi,

There are actually 2 more books in the Henle books. Books 2 and 3 are mostly reading/translation work. I am borrowing the books from a friend to preview them to see if either will work for my dd next year.

Wheelock's Latin is also a possibility. My dd is finishing up Wheelock's Latin in January with an online group, so we will need something new for Latin soon.

HTH,

Michele

Heather,

We are on roughly the same path as you and your son. My son used Prima Latina, LC I & II, and is using Henle I.

He is a 7th grader and is currently working on Units 6 - 10 of Henle I this year. He will do units 11 - 14 of Henle I in 8th grade, and then we'll move on to Henle II, but at a faster pace because I understand that the beginning section is a lot of review of Henle I. I asked about this here and on the Henle yahoo group, and this path seemed to be what most people recommended.

I have a syllabus that I made up for units 6 - 10 that we are using now. I'm modifying/revising it as we go along this year, and I would be happy to send it to you at the end of this year. Just remind me with a PM or email.

Brenda

Wow! Thanks!

So just continue on with the next book of Henle or possibly switch to Wheelock's? Anyone switch to a program like Oxford or Cambridge or Lingua Latina? Pros? Cons?

So let's say you have already completed the following Latin programs:

Minimus

Minimus Secundas

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana I

Latina Christiana II

Lingua Angelica I

and you are currently in Henle I (units 1-2)

and plan to do Henle II (units 3-5) next year

If Henle works for you, I'd continue with Latin First Year at least through unit 7. With the experience you have already with LC, I'd actually push to get more done in 7th grade than just units 1-2. I'd plan to have unit 7 completed by the end of 8th grade.

Then move to Henle Second Year in 9th, with the intention of completing the text that year. After that, I punt to a professional -- in our case, Scholars Online Latin III.

HTH

Moira

Wow! Thanks!

Anyone switch to a program like Oxford or Cambridge or Lingua Latina? Pros? Cons?

Heather,

I got Lingua Latina to use as a supplement, and my son enjoyed it last year. We've been too busy to add it in this year, but I hope to add it back after the holidays. LisaNY has a lot of good advice regarding LL. We read each story at least 10 times each to help it become more natural. We only got through about 4 stories, but I felt it was worth it, and my son liked the stories and silly cartoon figures in the margins of the book.

Personally, I wouldn't switch to LL exclusively because I like learning the grammar in a systematic manner (like Henle teaches it). LL uses immersion learning, and some prefer that approach.

HTH,

Brenda

Heather,

I got Lingua Latina to use as a supplement, and my son enjoyed it last year. We've been too busy to add it in this year, but I hope to add it back after the holidays. LisaNY has a lot of good advice regarding LL. We read each story at least 10 times each to help it become more natural. We only got through about 4 stories, but I felt it was worth it, and my son liked the stories and silly cartoon figures in the margins of the book.

Personally, I wouldn't switch to LL exclusively because I like learning the grammar in a systematic manner (like Henle teaches it). LL uses immersion learning, and some prefer that approach.

HTH,

Brenda

Would you combine LL with a grammar approach like Wheelock's?