Menu

help cleaning up our school year

I love your plan for next year, especially doing that Map Art book, which I really like. It was not my kids' cup of tea, but I may have enjoyed it a lot...

I did wonder if that wasn't too much for history to wrap up the year. It would just depend, but reviewing SOTW 1 and 2 (even if over the summer) with extra readings and doing memory work for the US stuff... just seems like a lot. But if it's all stuff he likes, then it may be just fine. You know your kids best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I love your plan for next year, especially doing that Map Art book, which I really like. It was not my kids' cup of tea, but I may have enjoyed it a lot...

I did wonder if that wasn't too much for history to wrap up the year. It would just depend, but reviewing SOTW 1 and 2 (even if over the summer) with extra readings and doing memory work for the US stuff... just seems like a lot. But if it's all stuff he likes, then it may be just fine. You know your kids best.

See, this is what I am needing.  Thanks so much!

I think you are right about the history.  He would prefer to drop the memory work and just add it back in at the appropriate times in our SOTW-aligned history, and instead of trying to finish resources I'll just plan for about 20" assigned "content" reading each day and cycle through science and history books.  He (the older child) doesn't love history. 

We'll see how Map Art goes.  I've just begun it with the older fellow, having learned the hard way not to wait until the academic year to sort out the kinks.  I don't expect he'll love it.  My goal is to be able to have him more-or-less work through the book, doing a couple of versions of each project where practical, with the goal of building up his repertoire of techniques.  Any joy he gets will probably come from when he applies techniques to the various paper projects he likes to build (he often loves building with paper and cardboard in his own time).  OTOH he'll be 13 in August, and you know what that can be like -- in fact, I'm taking notes & printing out posts from your thread! 

The other advantage of a book like Map Art, for me, is that in order to have the techniques available to the children during their free time I'll have to get my act together regarding a creative space/access to more supplies.  I need a kick in the rear on this one!  (and, I would love to do this book myself ...)

• Like 1