Menu

New Computer programming book - Code For Teens (cross posted)

I went to a homeschool convention recently and attended a session about programming done by Jeremy Moritz. I liked that rather than pitching his book, he talked mostly about coding in general and different ways to approach it for different ages and benefits for all kids whether they are interested in programming or not. At the end he did share about his text and why he wrote it. It teaches JavaScript. I liked that it is not game heavy(only one game assignment at the end) and it is very incremental. Also, for those of you wondering it looks like it will work equally well for religious or secular with no adjustments needed for either. He answers this on the website.

I though to share it here because I couldn't find the website using google (I was too lazy to get up and get the book). I think it is hard to find because it won't be available at amazon etc until late May. But you can order the book now from their website and it will ship free to the 48 states. I bought one at the convention. 

I was looking for an elective for my rising 9th grader and I think this will be perfect. The website indicates that it could be used for 6th and up. I haven't thought about whether to use it with my 7th grader, but I may use it with my 12th grader.  I will try to remember to update in December after I've had a child use it. I'm really tempted to work through it myself this summer. 

There is a much better description on the website:

http://codeforteens.com/

Kendall 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2018 at 10:35 AM, 8FillTheHeart said:

Peachydoodle, my 10th grader self taught herself Python using Python for the Absolute Beginner (or something like that). She has really enjoyed it, so much so that she asked to attend a coding camp this summer and is now considering CS as a major. 

Good for her!! I hope my dd will be just as successful. I could see her going into CS. I know she has been looking at Python but ran into an issue because she has a Chromebook and can't download software she needs. I'm not sure if she's solved that problem or not, but the book referenced above teaches Javascript, which I know she can do on her Chromebook. So worst case scenario, she'll have resources for two languages.

She is also going to a camp this summer at the local university that will teach a little coding, along with some other technology. It's a grant-funded program that encourages girls to go into IT fields.