Menu

Costco, Eagle Scout cakes & more

Serenade

Has anybody here used a Costco cake for Eagle Court of Honor?   

I realize Costco has standard cakes, but will it divert at all?  For example, will Costco put a transfer on the cake?  Or would they rearrange the flag a bit on the standard flag cake to have it going wavy and across the cake instead of centered in the middle?  If you've done anything creative with a Costco cake for an Eagle Scout ceremony, please share.  If you're willing to share an image, that would be even better.

If you have any simple-ish ideas for non-Costco Eagle Scout cakes, that would be appreciated as well.  

We did a desert bar for DS’s Eagle COH. I made brownies, cookies, and rice krispy treats (with red, white, and blue sprinkles). I also bought cupcakes from Smart and Final. The bakery lady air brushed the frosting red, white, and blue and stuck flags in them. It turned out really great and everyone liked having different options. 

• Like 2

Not for Eagle Court of Honor, but I asked Costco to move the standard decoration over so I could place a decoration I had purchased elsewhere for a bridal shower.  It worked fine.  I did speak to a manager type person who was in the bakery at the time I placed the order.  He helped me to fill out the little form so that it would be very clear what I wanted and told me to call the day before the morning pick up to make sure the person working that day was aware of the special order.

OTOH I ordered a cake for the wedding (beautiful small cake for bride & groom to cut; Costco cake in kitchen to plate) where I wanted the standard carrot cake icing that comes in a grid with a rosebud in each square, to be placed on a chocolate cake for ease of cutting, but that was not what I got at all.  It didn't matter because it was being cut & plated in the kitchen anyway, but annoying.

Apparently my answer is it can be hit or miss. 

Congratulations on your Eagle Scout!

Amber in SJ 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mamakelly said:

We did a desert bar for DS’s Eagle COH. I made brownies, cookies, and rice krispy treats (with red, white, and blue sprinkles). I also bought cupcakes from Smart and Final. The bakery lady air brushed the frosting red, white, and blue and stuck flags in them. It turned out really great and everyone liked having different options. 

What a great idea!  I was thinking of having a make-your-own trail mix bar alongside the cake, but I haven't yet decided whether or not to do that.  It wouldn't be too expensive, especially if I could save money and use a Costco cake, lol. 

38 minutes ago, Amber in SJ said:

Not for Eagle Court of Honor, but I asked Costco to move the standard decoration over so I could place a decoration I had purchased elsewhere for a bridal shower.  It worked fine.  I did speak to a manager type person who was in the bakery at the time I placed the order.  He helped me to fill out the little form so that it would be very clear what I wanted and told me to call the day before the morning pick up to make sure the person working that day was aware of the special order.

Thank you for sharing.  This at least gives me hope that maybe the bakery would work with us just a little bit.  It is really hard to find out anything online.  I have googled and googled.  We're going to try to go to Costco tomorrow and see what more we can find out. 

OTOH I ordered a cake for the wedding (beautiful small cake for bride & groom to cut; Costco cake in kitchen to plate) where I wanted the standard carrot cake icing that comes in a grid with a rosebud in each square, to be placed on a chocolate cake for ease of cutting, but that was not what I got at all.  It didn't matter because it was being cut & plated in the kitchen anyway, but annoying.

Apparently my answer is it can be hit or miss. 

Good to keep in mind. 

Congratulations on your Eagle Scout!

Amber in SJ 

Thank you!