Menu

AP Art History with PAH? Another provider? Self-study?

Has anyone taken the class with PAH?  Both of my older children have taken many classes with PAH, and we have had wonderful experiences with all of them except one.  Dd has taken AP Human Geography (self-study at home), AP Psychology (self-study), and AP Chem, APUSH, and AP Lang with PAH.  How difficult is the AP History class and exam??  I like the look of Khan Academy's Art History resources, but uncertain how easy it would be to self-study. It does not appear to be one of the easier exams to self-study.  Opinions???

My son self-studied for it, and we found it be pretty straightforward and easy to do. It's not like APUSH or something where they have to learn to do a particular sort of analysis in the essays. With art history, if you know the material, you'll do fine. The main challenge for us was that we got a fairly late start (after Labor Day) and then took a little while to find our groove, and there's a LOT of material to cover, so we were pressed for time at the end. But he really, really enjoyed the class, and got a 4 on the exam. We had a lot of different materials to draw from, but, honestly, the Khan academy stuff was 90% of what we used.

....90% might be an exaggeration, as I look back and remember what we did. We used this website: https://www.vwarthistory.com/global-prehistory.html ...and we watched a lot of Crash Course World History for context, too. We had two textbooks that my uncle, who taught the class for years, let us borrow, but we barely touched those. He put in a lot of time making very detailed notecards for each of the 250 works, and I think that was super helpful. He actually enjoys stuff like that, though.

Edited by kokotg

We std in a somewhat similar situation. DD has taken many classes with PAH and had s good experience. I’d like to save some money if possible. That being said, she’s had a negative experience this year with another provider and I would prefer to avoid paying and still having to organize the class myself.

Looking at Amber Kane’s description, she seems very organized. DD also emailed back and forth with someone who took the class two years ago and recommended it. Not sure that my ramblings are at all helpful but I’ll be following this to see what others say.

kokotg, that is a great website!!  Thank you!  And cuckoomamma, that is helpful to know that someone has taken the class and recommended it.  I am like you and would like to save money, if possible, as dd is taking a couple of other outsourced courses next year.   

Anyone else??  I know this is not the most popular AP class!

Speaking of that....finding a place to take the AP exam was especially tricky with that one since a lot of schools don't offer it! just a head's up

Yes!  That can be an issue.  Our local high school has been so great.  They will proctor exams even if they do not offer the class.  They have proctored AP Latin, AP Comp Sci, AP Physics C, AP Human Geography, and AP Psych for us.  I always check with them before I plan a class because that can be an issue.

• Like 1