Menu

Well Trained Mind Academy study skills: summer "online study skills" or spring "study skills"

I'd like to have my older son take the study skills class this summer, but noticed that it's titled "online study skills".  Does anyone know if it also includes information about offline organization and planning?  Would it be total overkill to take both classes (I imagine yes)? 

Thanks in advance!

Did you look at the course syllabus? They do differ a little bit to what is covered. Looks like it is mostly specific to using the particular platform that WTMA uses. You can look at them side by side. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QteX2UbDu3GjfFD66eOKo_pN8kqiBWLuoTgqfxQ-uDw/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13j_EH9Qmvsz7Xh4sZclENYxWS7_KUxnygZRhmx0xCI4/edit

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

Did you look at the course syllabus? They do differ a little bit to what is covered. Looks like it is mostly specific to using the particular platform that WTMA uses. You can look at them side by side. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QteX2UbDu3GjfFD66eOKo_pN8kqiBWLuoTgqfxQ-uDw/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13j_EH9Qmvsz7Xh4sZclENYxWS7_KUxnygZRhmx0xCI4/edit

You are kind!  Thank you: I had looked over the syllabi quickly, but took advantage of your handy links to compare them carefully. 

It was incredibly helpful: I'm chagrined I didn't do this earlier!  Been distracted and overwhelmed (and sick) this week. 

I'd been worried that the "online" summer course wouldn't have the general-purpose stuff, but the syllabi are very similar.  The first few weeks of the summer course are more compressed, and last few more expanded, than the spring course; also, the online content is specified as being "Blackboard" specific for the first two weeks of the summer course.  Otherwise, a one-to-one correspondence. 

You've been a great help!

Edited by serendipitous journey

My son took the online study skills class. Most of the class was basic study skills. Some of the items related to the online component are helpful when if you aren't taking online courses (file management, contacting a teacher when you need help, how to write a respectful email).

• Like 1

SJ,

Would you be willing to give a review of what you thought of the course? I was considering it for my son as a possibility at some point. Was it worth the money? I'm just wondering how much more would this offer than say using Seton's free online one and/or Great Courses: How to Be a Superstar Student.

Edited by calbear

I think if your student is at a place where they need to take notes and utilize study skills it is a fantastic class. It is also very worth while if your student will be taking an online course through any provider. The class taught note taking, memorization tools, keeping a neat study place, goal setting, and tips to overcome test anxiety. Since we continued taking classes through WTMA learning to utilize the online classroom was very useful. The homework was relevant to the teachings of the class and in the end your student will have a packet to remind them of the things learned throughout the class to use as a resource. The teacher was engaging, kept the class interesting, and was fantastic at keeping the students on topic.

My son says the class was helpful, he learned new things, and the teacher was really nice.

ETA: I feel it was worth the money. I do think some of the skills that were taught have not yet been relevant in our homeschool so they have been forgotten, but a quick review would remedy it. If your son utilizes the skills taught then I think it would be useful. My son took the class more seriously because there was a teacher and a live component. I am not sure that would have been the case if the material was taught in a different format. He was in 6th grade when he took the class.

Edited by SJ.
  • Like 1

Thanks for responding, SJ!

We've been moving in that direction of studies that are requiring more organization. I'm debating about when to do it over the summer or during the school year when he could be applying what he learns in real time. You've given me more to think about.

• Like 1

Thanks for responding, SJ!

We've been moving in that direction of studies that are requiring more organization. I'm debating about when to do it over the summer or during the school year when he could be applying what he learns in real time. You've given me more to think about.

Us too!  FWIW, I'm going to shoot for the summer class because I'd like him to have the skills heading into next year and (this is related to the first reason) next year is going to be heavy-duty for us on a few fronts: two Lukeion classes and deep readings of Iliad & Odyssey, also headed into trickier math.  So I wanted to lighten next year for him. 

• Like 1