Menu

Homeschooling middle grades with health crisis

oh, my.  :grouphug:     I am so sorry to hear your DC & your family is dealing with this. 

I haven't any specific suggestions (no BTDT for this) but have some questions that might help the forum give advice, and I'll make any suggestions I can if I have useful information:

Do you know if the crisis is acute, or will be chronic (say, more than two weeks)?  Would you describe it as "purely" physical (along the lines of a broken leg) or something that will have a more systemic & mental effect (pneumonia, mental health crisis, serious GI problems)? 

What is the workload for the online class?  Is a pass/fail/audit grade possible?  Desirable?  Does your DC enjoy the online class?  Can DC complete the work outside of the class framework, maybe over the summer? How does performance in this class effect next year's plans or options?

What do your coops include?  What is the workload for the different subjects?  How important is coop attendance for actual instruction (as opposed to social interaction)?  How does your DC feel about the coops?   Does DC's performance in/completion of the coops effect next year's plans or options? 

Do you have any homeschool work that is outside the online/coop framework?  Can it be dropped and/or slowed as much as is necessary? 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Hang in there. This is hard.

Yes, we did this, but she did not have co-op classes or online classes. It was in mid 10th grade. The crisis weeks leading up to and including/diagnosis/kidney failure/hospitalization etc were about 5 weeks, but a month or so before and a month or so after she wasn't at full school work level. No work was done during the 5 weeks except that I read Jane Austen's Mansfield Park to her in the hospital-it is all she felt like doing. Didn't even feel well enough to watch TV at first. We continued 10th grade into and through the next year and she will graduate when she is 19. Best decision ever.  If it had been a different child of mine and happened toward the end of a middle school or earlier year, I might have gone ahead and advanced them in grade the next year.

Since the courses aren't going on the transcript you could just drop them based on answers to Ana's good questions. 

Kendall 

mom to 8

• Like 1

Thank you for your thoughtful responses, ladies.  Sadly, I think this will be a long road, definitely weeks, maybe months.  And all encompassing.  :(

I think DC can continue the online class with some supports.  But the co-ops are pretty iffy at this point.  One DC is slightly interested in continuing (the less academic one) and the other (which is the bulk of DC's load) he has no interest in continuing.  Sigh.  In theory some of the work can be completed without in-class instruction (if he is able), but there is a major project presentation approaching that I can't imagine happening.  I *think* they will let him advance a grade without completion--esp since it is not high school, but it remains to be seen.  And I worry about the social stigma of not returning. 

Been there, though not at middle school level. I tried to keep our routines as normal as possible, and I kept up with schoolwork as much as we could.

Honestly, doing normal things helped me not focus on how not normal it was to have a sick child. It also helped our sick child and not sick child feel secure and not scared during the whole process. We just looked at it like, "ok, ds has this illness, and we have to go to appointments, stay in the hospital, and take medicine to get rid of the illness, but we'll make it work. Now let's do math."

But again, we faced a very long road (years of treatment), and I'm not sure I'd have taken the same approach for a short term illness, especially if it was serious. But, I think routines make children feel safe and secure, so I'm sure I would have continued with life as close to normal as I could, especially for my ds who wasn't sick.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It is very stressful.

Maybe this helps a little?

• Like 2