Menu

Over the Februarys, ready for something new

We're past the Februarys, and into the MUST CHANGE EVERYTHING phase of the year. This spring, my dream *this is finally the thing that's going to fix EVERYTHING that's wrong with my homeschool* curriculum is Build Your Library. I'm trying to keep it manageable by starting with one of the unit studies. I'm just about to go search for ALL THE BOOKS at the library and local used book stores. Does anybody else do this? I know educational new beginnings are supposed to be in the fall, but hey, BYL is my current squirrel. 

• Like 4

Yeah, this is why I always time our school years to end around February/March.  I have the same problem during this time of year.  Our school year just ended a couple of weeks ago and we were dragging ourselves across the finish line.  By February, I am bored with what they are doing (and so are they!).

I thought about moving to a semester system or "one subject at a time" because of this.  We tried the "one subject at a time" a couple of years ago and it was awesome.  The only bad thing- it backfired.  We had so much fun with one subject that we spent a really long time on it.  Too long.  And I felt like I was rushing to catch up.

• Like 2

Yeah, this is why I always time our school years to end around February/March.  I have the same problem during this time of year.  Our school year just ended a couple of weeks ago and we were dragging ourselves across the finish line.  By February, I am bored with what they are doing (and so are they!).

I thought about moving to a semester system or "one subject at a time" because of this.  We tried the "one subject at a time" a couple of years ago and it was awesome.  The only bad thing- it backfired.  We had so much fun with one subject that we spent a really long time on it.  Too long.  And I felt like I was rushing to catch up.

I love the idea of one subject at a time--my college had a January term--one month, one subject, and I loved it. If we didn't need to keep our slow and steady pace for math, spelling, and Latin, I'd be in. I'm hoping that the byl unit study will be a good happy medium--we can keep at our core subjects at a steady pace, and spend the rest of our time in the deep past. :)

I’ve changed things up too. I switched DD to CLE LA from WWE, FLL, and AAS. The bits of everything were driving me crazy. It’s going great so far. I like everything in one place, but I do need to figure out something for writing.

MP full cores are my current squirrel...

• Like 1

We just switched our history, math, and LA. No big changes. 😂

We used the Alveary curriculum this year and it hasn’t been a great fit overall. Math wasn’t getting done (Rightstart), so we switched to CLE late in January. I liked it so much we added their reading and LA programs. After that I decided to use BiblioPlan for next year. Since we are 1/2 way through Biblioplan’s Book 3 in our history cycle, I figured we might as well start now. So I have essentially changed everything, and we are thriving with the changes!

It hasn’t been a cheap fix for the February blahs.

• Like 1