Menu

AAR and Abeka English

countrymum

I am using AAR and AAS with my children. I currently have kids finishing up k4 (will be part way through AAR 2 in fall)and 1st(will be part way through AAR 3 in fall). I would like to use Abeka for grammar/language. When would you all start it? What do I do about the revised 2nd grade called phonics and language since I am using a different phonics? Any thoughts?

Edited by Rjha

I have used Abeka phonics/language for 3 of my children, and I wouldn't start the language book until 2nd or 3rd. The 1st grade language workbook really is just a continuation of their phonics curriculum and you wouldn't need that with AAR/AAS. Starting in 2nd, it begins to teach more gentle grammar and lays off phonics. I recently ordered my upcoming second grader the revised phonics/language workbook but the older version was still available on their website. I would definitely order the older version of Language 2 since you will not need the phonics portion :)

I have used Abeka phonics/language for 3 of my children, and I wouldn't start the language book until 2nd or 3rd. The 1st grade language workbook really is just a continuation of their phonics curriculum and you wouldn't need that with AAR/AAS. Starting in 2nd, it begins to teach more gentle grammar and lays off phonics. I recently ordered my upcoming second grader the revised phonics/language workbook but the older version was still available on their website. I would definitely order the older version of Language 2 since you will not need the phonics portion :)

I didn't even realize there was a new version of 2. Does this mean they will be putting the contents of both older workbooks into one workbook? Or is the new one just replacing one of the workbooks?

It replaces both 2nd grade workbooks. I asked Abeka about it and it appears that the 1st half emphasizes phonics and the 2nd half emphasizes grammar.

I would love to hear from others who have Abeka language experience or who have used a different phonics program and then gone into Abeka language.

It replaces both 2nd grade workbooks. I asked Abeka about it and it appears that the 1st half emphasizes phonics and the 2nd half emphasizes grammar.

I would love to hear from others who have Abeka language experience or who have used a different phonics program and then gone into Abeka language.

This is intriguing. Currently, one workbook has a more phonics focus and the other has a good deal of writing but not so much focused on grammar. Much of their phonics based book is repetitive from grade 1 with a heavier focus on more challenging special sounds (such as tion, sion, ought, etc) and if you are using an O-G based curriculum already it would be slightly confusing with all of the marking vowels and circling special sounds etc.

I will say you could adapt it to have the student use AAR/AAS approach on the words. Some of it is finding root words, adding suffixes and prefixes and so forth.

The more writing based book focuses mainly on capitalization and punctuation along with formulating good sentences. They start out by providing word banks and/or scrambling words to put in proper order in a sentence. You quickly move to more writing in general. I don't recall much focus on parts of speech and so forth until 3rd.

The older one will be about 1/2 way through AAS 2 and done with AAR 3 before we start again in the fall.

Does that one find writing easy, or is your older one more of a reluctant writer? Reluctant writers often find it easier to start a more formal program after AAS 3. By the end of Level 3, students have mastered over 1000 words.  AAS has a gradual progression for increasing the student’s stamina and fluency in writing, from words and short phrases in Level 1, to phrases and short sentences in Level 2, to 12 dictation sentences per step in Level 3. Also in Level 3, the Writing Station is introduced--kids write sentences of their own that they make up using some of their spelling words. It's a nice bridge between dictations and outside writing assignments.

He doesn't mind writing and likes trying to use the cursive we began this year and will continue next year. His reading is really taking off. Has anyone else jumped into Abeka grammar/writing from a different phonics program. When did you do it? How did it go?

I just got in the new Phonics/Language 2 workbook from Abeka this weekend. It has a phonics lesson on the front side and a grammar lesson on the back. I honestly would wait until 3rd grade to start Abeka's Language program. It starts from the beginning talking about sentences and phrases and builds from there. I think that would be your best option unless you did order the older version of Language 2 as I mentioned earlier. Otherwise you are going to have to weed through Abeka's phonics portion which has some differences compared to AAR. HTH!

Third grade is when language arts is just grammar/composition and not phonics. It starts with types of sentences.

I would definitely start by fourth grade as they go through comprehensively with language A, B, C in 4th, 5th and 6th, respectively.

We started with the third grade book this year after a different phonics program. It has been a smooth transition. We also do WWE.