Menu

Audio books?

Rosepetal

My daughters are fond of Audio books and unfortunately there are not many choices at our library.If some Cd's are available then there is a way long waiting list. My girls get frustrated due to the limited options in our library. I am planning for getting the subscription from audible or Scribd but am confused and What I see the advantage of getting Scribd membership as I will get eBook, audio books and Literature study guides and unlimited no. of audio books without paying more than monthly charges but in Audible We will get 1 audio book free but for other books 30% off for members.

Could anyone shed light on the pros and cons of getting Scribd and audible audio books? What are their audio quality? What is the sales period in a year like bogo deal or 2 months Audible sale? Can you download e books and audio books on your computer in Scribd membership? Which company's audiobooks can we listen offline?  Which membership is easy to cancel the subscription? When you cancel a plan in Scribd membership then do you get to keep the audio books? Why do these companies ask for credit card no. if we are start our free 1st month trial?

Please share your experiences!

Thanks.....

Edited by Rosepetal

Have you asked your library about a hoopla or Overdrive account? Our library recently started offering those options.

Can you pay a small fee to join another larger local library? In some areas you can for $50 or so a year.

I used to have Scribd and what I recall is that they changed their policy to limit the number of books you can have out per month. I didn’t like the limits so I dropped my subscription. This was maybe 2-3 years ago so perhaps they changed back.

Also, Scribd has a lot of books but it doesn’t have every book available. It’s more like a library so if you want a specific title, you may be out of luck. Audible is like Amazon but for audiobooks, so you’re sure to find exactly the title (and narrator) you want.

I ended up getting an Audible subscription and have enjoyed it. It’s one of the little things I do for myself. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audible runs excellent sales, especially as we head into summer. They've had sales for children's books where everything will be $2-4, tons of classics. You won't get that notification or be eligible if you aren't an audible member. I have access to the National Library Service (free audiobooks for people with print disabilities), and I STILL keep my audible membership. I like all my stuff to load onto my ds' kindle and be tidy and easy.

If it doesn't have to be a professional reader, Librivox has free audiobooks. 

Definitely agree with the advice to try other libraries and keep trying. Have you tried your state capital? They can give you a card and then you can use their online offerings. 

The other trick with audible is to look for the ebook version of the book. Sometimes if you buy the ebook (free or 99 cents), you can add the audio for a pittance.