Menu

Arthurian videos (for somewhat sensitive children)?

I am wondering if there are any good versions of the Arthurian stories, in movie or serial video form, that might be good for boys who don't love warfare? 

I do realize that this is a bit of a ridiculous question!  But am hoping to build up in my children some affection for the stories.  We read a good bit of the Pyle version, but stopped when Merlin was about to b poisoned (that did.not.go.over.well).  So something not too bloody, and a bit optimistic?  Maybe? 

Failing all else, I suppose we could fall back on Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but that seems quite a desperate path ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

I have one of those types of boys. He wouldn't even make it through the disney version of Robin Hood (with the fox).

I didn't find any movies that would work, and I know you didn't ask for books. But we did enjoy the series that starts with The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great by Gerald Morris.

• Like 2

I have one of those types of boys. He wouldn't even make it through the disney version of Robin Hood (with the fox).

I didn't find any movies that would work, and I know you didn't ask for books. But we did enjoy the series that starts with The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great by Gerald Morris.

Thanks so much for the book suggestion!  Books are always welcome here!!!  Dare I say: even better than videos.  :)

I'll check that one out.  My older (12yo) just this year was able to handle the Robin-Hood-with-the-Fox.  Whoo-hoo!  And we made it through Pyle's Robin Hood (didn't even finish the introduction element of Lancelyn Green's, way too violent) though I did skip the weird ending where Robin Hood gets murdered by a nun -- we just ended after everybody got jobs working for the king.  Nice place to stop. 

ETA: okay, that looks terrific.  Between this book and the Disney movie linked by Lori above, I have high hopes for success!  I'm linking The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great for others; it is a knight-centered comedy sort of book.  Both boys like the "Hero's Guide" series so this is nearly sure-fire. 

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the book suggestion!  Books are always welcome here!!!  Dare I say: even better than videos.  :)

I'll check that one out.  My older (12yo) just this year was able to handle the Robin-Hood-with-the-Fox.  Whoo-hoo!  And we made it through Pyle's Robin Hood (didn't even finish the introduction element of Lancelyn Green's, way too violent) though I did skip the weird ending where Robin Hood gets murdered by a nun -- we just ended after everybody got jobs working for the king.  Nice place to stop. 

ETA: okay, that looks terrific.  Between this book and the Disney movie linked by Lori above, I have high hopes for success!  I'm linking The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great for others; it is a knight-centered comedy sort of book.  Both boys like the "Hero's Guide" series so this is nearly sure-fire. 

The book you linked looks fun. :)

While it's not King Arthur, don't forget Knight's Castle by Edward Eager -- SUCH a fun and funny magic adventure story with the characters from Robin Hood and the medieval-based Ivanhoe showing up as the children go on the magic adventures. :) Also, Time Warp Trio #1: Knights of the Kitchen Table is very silly fun, and involves knights from King Arthur's time.

And it sounds like you already finished reading directly about King Arthur, but Marcia Williams does comicstrip style retellings of classics -- weirdly, the "look inside" option of her King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table shows only text from a Thomas Mallory edition...??

• Like 1

Big thanks to Lori and alibild.  We found the Lancelot book at our library yesterday: I read the first two chapters over lunch, and it was popular enough that the older one finished it on his own, and the younger one wanted it for bedtime stories.  It is more serious than it seems at casual glance: the storyline is very, very funny but there is a strong and centered moral core. 

Today at lunch we're watching Disney's "The Sword and the Stone" (a fortuitous thing that it fits my goals & we could stream it from Amazon -- I'm sick and could use the break from reading aloud) and they both think it is hilarious!  whoo-hoo!

The book you linked looks fun. :)

While it's not King Arthur, don't forget Knight's Castle by Edward Eager -- SUCH a fun and funny magic adventure story with the characters from Robin Hood and the medieval-based Ivanhoe showing up as the children go on the magic adventures. :) Also, Time Warp Trio #1: Knights of the Kitchen Table is very silly fun, and involves knights from King Arthur's time.

And it sounds like you already finished reading directly about King Arthur, but Marcia Williams does comicstrip style retellings of classics -- weirdly, the "look inside" option of her King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table shows only text from a Thomas Mallory edition...??

Thank you for the recommendations!  It isn't so much that I've finished reading directly about King Arthur as that I've tabled it -- that is, the boys are utterly finished with it! -- and am going to focus all my Arthurian energies on building enthusiasm.  I have so many "good" retellings, ranging from picture books to YA novels, but what we need is just for the boys to have FUN with things Arthur.  :)

• Like 2

...I read the first two chapters over lunch, and it was popular enough that the older one finished it on his own, and the younger one wanted it for bedtime stories.  It is more serious than it seems at casual glance: the storyline is very, very funny but there is a strong and centered moral core. 

Today at lunch we're watching Disney's "The Sword and the Stone" (a fortuitous thing that it fits my goals & we could stream it from Amazon -- I'm sick and could use the break from reading aloud) and they both think it is hilarious!  whoo-hoo!

:hurray:  Woo-hoo! Yea for the win that turned around DSs' attitude toward King Arthur stories!  :laugh:

• Like 1