Menu

Literature guides, there are so many choices!

I'd like to choose a few lit guides for my sophomore to cover some books we have not yet read but I think are important.  Romeo and Juliet, Great Expectations, Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby are on the list.  There are SO many options for literature guides that I don't know which to choose.  Any that you have really liked?

I always found it helpful to use more than one guide when possible, in order to get different perspectives and themes out of the work. Free guides can be really useful for being those extra points of view. Here are a few free guide publishers that we've used author/times background info and/or questions from:

Romeo and Juliet:

- Penguin teacher guide (free)

- Bibliomania guide (free)

Great Expectations:

- Glencoe Literature Library guide (free)

Animal Farm:

The Great Gatsby:

- Penguin teacher support (free)

John Green has Crash Course Literature episodes for both Romeo and Juliet and Gatsby. the NEA did a "big read" on Gatsby awhile back. there's a reading guide: https://www.arts.gov/sites/default/files/ReaderResources-GreatGatsby.pdf ...and there's also a podcast episode. Open Yale Courses has a Wai Chee Dimock course on Faulkner, Fitzgerald, and Hemingway; I had my DS listen to a couple of the Gatsby lectures.

I always found it helpful to use more than one guide when possible, in order to get different perspectives and themes out of the work. Free guides can be really useful for being those extra points of view. Here are a few free guide publishers that we've used author/times background info and/or questions from:

Romeo and Juliet:

Great Expectations:

Animal Farm:

The Great Gatsby:

- Penguin teacher support (free)

Great idea!  Thank you!

John Green has Crash Course Literature episodes for both Romeo and Juliet and Gatsby. the NEA did a "big read" on Gatsby awhile back. there's a reading guide: https://www.arts.gov/sites/default/files/ReaderResources-GreatGatsby.pdf ...and there's also a podcast episode. Open Yale Courses has a Wai Chee Dimock course on Faulkner, Fitzgerald, and Hemingway; I had my DS listen to a couple of the Gatsby lectures.

Excellent, thanks!