Menu

old

Paisley Hedgehog

I had the same dilemma with a 5 year old and a 9 year old. When I read the NOEO website, it said that the levels had more to do with reading level than with age or grade. I chose level 1 (Physics) and I am glad I did. It is still a little over my 5 year old's head and it is just perfect for my 9 year old who is on about a mid 3rd grade reading level. If your oldest is really "science-y" then you may want to use level II, but if not, I think level I will be fine. Just my experience...but all kids are different. :)

P.S. We LOVE NOEO.

You know I was wondering what to do this year and ordered Bio II for 5th grade dd. I was going to read the stuff to my 2 1st graders. It didn't really work. I am now doing what WTM says to do, working through a biology-type encylopedia with them and reading lots of other books. It only took me 5years to get up the guts to do it. FWIW I think level II would prob. be over the heads of anyone not up to 3/4 grade reading and comp.

HTH

I've only ever done the Level I courses but I think that is a good place to start. For our house, Bio was the easiest of the level I courses.

I think it is easier to beef up and find extra things than it is to water them down, but that is just me.

You are right that the levels do not match each other very well, though I know that there are some people who buy both and pick through them to synch them (as best as they can).

Let us know how it ends up.

Shari, I just posted on your other thread about living books, so you may want to take a look at it. Originally, I said level 2, but if you feel you're 5th grader is a bit *lazy* about workload, then I think I'd go with level 1. As I mentioned, level 1 chem worked great with the 2nd-5th grade kids I taught. Your child will still learn tons, I promise you! I have parents who still complement on how much their kids learned in that class and most of them are in school now. You could always purchase the Usborne ency for the 5th grader to do extra reading. The photos and illustrations in the ency are beautiful. IMHO, the ency is written at a 6th/7th grade reading level and in the physics section, there are many algebraic formulas that are introduced. Let me know if you have other questions. By the way, if you want to look at the ency or any other Noeo books, check your library. The first hand look helped me a great deal when I initially looked at Noeo.

Jennifer