Menu

Parks Challenge Feb 11-17

Ottakee

This is our second week for the parks challenge.  The goal is simple......get out and enjoy free/low cost parks and enjoy being outside and active.

The rules are simple as well----you make up your own challenge.  You can count school playgrounds, local parks, township, county, state, linear, or national parks.  You can set a goal of going to a park once a week, visiting 10 new parks this year, trying a new activity at a favorite park or whatever fits the needs of your family and your locale.  You can count playgrounds, walking, hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, swimming, skating, skiing, boating, kayaking, etc......whatever activities you want.

My personal/family goal is to visit 50 different parks this year (and I can not count our county parks as we did all 38 of them last year for our parks challenge.  I hope to include local, state and national parks this year and possibly one or more in Canada if we make it there.  I hope to include a few linear parks for bike riding and increase my hiking to a 10 mile day hike on a section of the North Country Trail.

Sadly last week I didn't get any new parks....only cross country skiing at a local county park.  It is winter in Michigan and lots of snow this week.  Most of my parks challenge work will be March through October due to weather.  So far this year I have 3 different parks on my list----winter snow hiking in each of them.

Everyone is welcome to join in with your own challenge.  Feel free to share pictures (I am not savvy enough to do that most of the time), links to the parks, fun moments at your parks, etc.

Our weather did not cooperate this weekend. I don't mind cold. But we had freezing rain and were essentially trapped in the house, no way to get to a park.

This coming week it will be nice on Wednesday - when I have to work from 8am until 11pm. Sigh. 

Better weather is coming.  I went out skiing but for my parks challenge am not counting that park.  Our area is beautiful.....come April or May but winter is so hard.