Menu

SM 5B to DM 7A?

Ambrosia

I'm confused.

Are you asking: "Since we're doing well with SM5, should we SKIP SM6 and go to DM7 instead for the next year" or

are you asking: "Since we're having no trouble with Singapore Math (as a series), after SM6, should we go to DM7? (instead of switching to a different publisher)"

If you are considering skipping SM6 and going DM7 after SM5, then I'm assuming it is for a reason. So, as much as I hate to reply to a question with a question I have to ask why?

What are the cons of doing SM6?

What are the pros of doing DM7 instead of SM6?

What are the benefits of skipping SM6?

Why would you have your son skip SM6?

Why not accelerate SM6, then start DM7 next?

Why is jumping over 6 entirely an ideal situation?

The 6th grade year of a K-6 program is not meant to be optional, it's meant to be the end. It's not a perfect analogy but when people on this board ask about skipping level 6, of a K-6 program that's been going really well for them since K, I always wonder if they'd skip the last chapters of a novel that they have been enjoying as a read aloud?

DM 7 is not the end of Primary Mathematics.

DM 7 is the beginning of a whole new level math series.

DM 7 is designed for students who have completed PM 1-6.

To me its just...weird to abort a series that is going well for you, at the end without any individually beneficial reason...

There is a Dimensions math level 6. My oldest DD did SM through 6B and now is doing Dimensions 6. Many of the topics are review, which she needed, but there are some topics not covered in SM 6 like negative numbers and algebraic expressions. I plan to have DD10, who is currently in 5A, skip SM 6 and do DM 6 instead. SM 6 is review of the previous levels and I think the information is presented better in DM.

• Like 1

We've used Singapore Math SE and are not having problems with it. We are now on 5B, and I am ready to buy the next level which should be 6A/B. But I did read old posts here of whether to continue with the level 6 or not. I didn't follow to what each person ended using because I wasn't in that situation at that time. Now I am. I also went to the Singapore Math forum and found this.

"Jenny

Posted March 13, 2017

If your child did either Standards edition 5A and 5B, or Common Core edition 5A and 5B, s/he would not miss any topics by then doing Dimensions Math 7. That is the only case where this is true. It is not true for US edition, it is not true for New Elementary Math. Whether your child should do 6, depends on the child, some need more consolidation or easier/slower introduction to new topics."

I do understand about not finishing a good book, but we will finish 5B strong and that is the end of that book. My understanding is that SM 6A/B, SE were written so that the students who have been having difficulties with the advance Singapore Math SE in the lower level books could catch up.

I'm glad 2ndgenhomeschooler shared her experience on both SM 6 and DM 6. I'm thinking I'll just follow her advice.

Standards Edition does review topics, but it goes deeper and the problems are more complex. It does, however, introduce new topics.

I used 6A/B Standards with my oldest. She did well with 5A/B, but I was in no hurry to start algebra before 8th, and felt she could benefit from the extra reinforcement. I really liked 6A/B and plan to use it with my younger two, both of whom do well with math.

• Like 1

I use SM US edition. From what I understand, it is missing a couple topics included in the Standards edition. Those topics are covered in Dimensions 6 which is part of the reason my older DD is doing DM 6 even though she completed SM 6. If you’ve used the Standards Edition and don’t think your child needs a review year you might be fine to skip to DM 7.

• Like 1

I use SM US edition. From what I understand, it is missing a couple topics included in the Standards edition. Those topics are covered in Dimensions 6 which is part of the reason my older DD is doing DM 6 even though she completed SM 6. If you’ve used the Standards Edition and don’t think your child needs a review year you might be fine to skip to DM 7.

We do use all the books too- workbook, test book, extra practice, challenging word problems- and not just the standards edition text.

I’m excited to move to DM7.

Thank you!