Menu

thames & kosmos physics kits

kate in seattle

Susan is recommending these for logic level science (in the next edition of WTM). I am looking for something for 5th grade daughter who really needs something above the grammar stage books but isn't QUITE ready for BJU Physical World (being used by 8th grade sister). She says she will try but I don't think she can cover the whole physics portion this year.

kate in seattle

Kate,

Do you have a link?

I'm looking to cover physics next semester with my 5th grader, but I'm planning to just do one semester. I was thinking about getting a kit, and adding the Usborne and Visual encyclopedias. (Oh, yeah, and the Critical Thinking in Science book I just *had* to have - LOL!)

Do you think the physics kit is too much for an entire year? or, did you mean the BJU would be too much?

On a different note altogether:

I have been perusing the old boards getting ready for 9th grade ancients next year. And, something you posted there has put a bug in my bonnet - loosely, about historical fiction helping you to own a time period or a person. I think you mentioned one of the pharoahs specifically (not Hatshepsut - oh, I can't remember his name!)

Anyway, I'm wondering if you would share your favorite "really good books" for high school ancients. I'm playing with the idea of using historical fiction rather than the Penguin or Ponting's world history books for "extra reading". (So, this wouldn't be taking the place of Great Books, but rather helping to make history more alive - and I may end up choosing to use an easier spine than Spielvogel's Western Civ - haven't decided.)

I saved a copy of your Middle Ages syllabus from your blog. Oh, my. If I could, I would move to Seattle just to join your co-op!! Any chance you have one for Ancients as well?

Thanks!

Rhonda

Rhonda, have you looked at the VP catalog? It's just filled with historical fiction and lists it by time period. It has selections at, above, and below level, so there will be plenty for your older student. And Hatshepsut was a *she*. That's part of the fascination. :)

Kate, we got the C500 chemistry kit, and it was not a real hit in our house. Dry instructions, no pictures, needed supervision. I think it was a personality thing though, that we were expecting it to be fun and have some pizzaz. Maybe someone who has done the physics kits can comment. I know I heard of another good option recently, but I don't remember what it was.