Menu

Can I throw her a shower?

PeachyDoodle

My BIL (DH's brother) is getting married in June. It's his second marriage, but the first for his fiance. It will be very small, only immediate family on our side. 

I would like to throw a bridal shower for my SIL-to-be and invite DH's aunts and maybe his female cousins. DH's parents are divorced and I am really the only one who could get away with inviting both sides of the family. But since they won't be invited to the wedding, I can't decide if it would be ok to invite them to a shower. 

I suppose we could do an engagement party instead, but that means a much larger guest list, and I'm not sure we can afford that. I just hate for our family not to do something special to welcome her.

I wouldn't invite people to a shower or engagement party when they aren't being invited to the wedding. The exception would be if co-workers wanted to do a casual shower at work, just among the co-workers. Or a Sunday School class (and other similar groups).

• Like 5

I do think engagement or shower is sticky because of the non-invite to the actual wedding.  But after the wedding, I think having a small celebratory party with the small guest list of your choice to get that group together would be great!   I have been to a couple events like that. I wouldn't include gift/registry info with those invites but I bet some people will bring gifts.

I've seen invites kind of like this ... (hope this links ok)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/387591111652849697/

• Like 2

My daughter is having a catered reception for friends and family after their courthouse wedding that no one is invited to.

My family had a shower for my niece (her aunts and cousins) before her out of state courthouse wedding when only the bride's father, the groom's mother, and sister were invited.

I think a reception to meet the bride after the wedding makes it less confusing for guests.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ