Menu

Hoffman Academy?

shand

Dd has been asking to learn the piano lately and due to finances, we really can't afford to get her lessons. I was thinking about getting her a keyboard for her 6th birthday and using Hoffman Academy with her. Anyone have any experience with it and is it worth the money for the monthly subscription?

I LOVE Hoffman Academy. We've been doing it for a while and even did the Kickstarter a few years back. I'd highly recommend it, especially if finances are a concern. The subscription is less clear. For me, it's totally worth it because it gives the girls practice assignments, sheet music and accountability. They basically go at their own pace daily with me just making sure they're listening and practicing correctly. Without it, you don't have sheet music and you have to be more aware of what they should be practicing. Also there is more practice with theory and sight reading with the subscription through worksheets and sight reading exercises. I'd say try the first 10 lessons or so to see if you like it, then get the subscription if you do.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 1

I like Hoffman Academy. I think the full first unit can be managed fairly easily without the subscription, but moving forward from there really needs at least the sheet music that is included in the subscription.

Edited by Jackie
  • Like 1

We love Hoffman Academy. Way back a few years ago, we paid way more than that for guitar lessons locally for my son to far less success. I pay $33/mo for three kids to take piano lessons through Hoffman. There are things I wish their website did better and a parent really does need to supervise the child’s progress, but all three kids are learning and retaining what they learn.