Menu

Ear Piercing-her hole got bigger :-( What to do?

Meadowlark

My daughter is 6 and got her ears pierced 6 weeks ago. I meant to change and check her earrings last Sunday, but forgot until today. When I took her earring out, her hole was discolored and the skin around her hole had torn. It's hard to describe but I am about in tears. She is in no pain and I don't think it's infected, but somehow her hole is strangely bigger. What should I do? Should I take her to a doctor? Will she have to let them close? 

How often have you been cleaning them? Can you provide us with a picture?

Yes, a picture would help.

How big is the hole?

My friend’s dd got her ears pierced at the pediatricians’s office and they messed up one side. She had to let that one heal up and then get it re-pierced.

• Like 1

How often have you been cleaning them?  Can you provide us with a picture?

Yes, I followed the directions diligently and cleaned 3x/day with the cleaning solution for 3 weeks. Then, we took out the piercer earrings and replaced immediately with high quality new ones. It was today that I went to change those out (probably should've checked on them at least 4-5 days ago though). 

How do I attach a pic here? When I click on the image icon, it says to give a URL. It's saved on my computer.

• Like 1

If you had them done a a piercing studio with a needle (usually a tattoo parlor) I would return there and ask their advice.

If you had them done at the mall with a gun (Claire's or other boutique) I would let them close up and try at piercing studio next time. Keep a picture on your phone so you can show a future piercer the problem she had. 

A piercers hollow needle excises a small bit of skin as the needle passes through the ear lobe to allow for easier healing and better hole/scaring. 

A gun forces the stud through the ear and rips an uneven hole which is more prone to ripping. 

• Like 2

Yes, I followed the directions diligently and cleaned 3x/day with the cleaning solution for 3 weeks. Then, we took out the piercer earrings and replaced immediately with high quality new ones. It was today that I went to change those out (probably should've checked on them at least 4-5 days ago though). 

How do I attach a pic here? When I click on the image icon, it says to give a URL. It's saved on my computer.

Bumping so someone can tell you how to attach a picture.

In the meantime, by discolored, maybe you can describe the color a bit more?  Bruised looking, like purple or brown?  Are there bumps like a skin reaction?  Any itching?

• Like 1