Menu

American History

Hi all,

Has anyone used the The Founding of America dvd set from The History Channel as a supplement to American History? (You can see it here.)

I was wondering if you have used it, what you thought of it. Did it present the facts correctly? Was there any bias in the presentation? Was the presentation mind-numbing or exciting?

Just trying to put together American History for both of my high schoolers next year and make it interesting. My kiddos have asked for a break from TTC videos.

TIA for your advice.

I've also narrowed down my textbook choices to: Bailey's American Pageant or Bennett's Road Map to the Last Best Hope. Has anyone used or are using either of these?

My teen used Bailey's American Pageant in an outside the home AP US History class in 10th grade. She enjoyed the book (they read the entire book too!); she thought it had personality. For a summer reading assignment prior to the start of class' date=' they read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America by Steven M. Gillon. The latter book was written to accompany a History Channel series of that title.

Before the test, she found these flash cards of use for review. A fun add on was the Cartoon History of the United States by Larry Gonick.

Regards,

Kareni

My teen used Bailey's American Pageant in an outside the home AP US History class in 10th grade. She enjoyed the book (they read the entire book too!); she thought it had personality. For a summer reading assignment prior to the start of class, they read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America by Steven M. Gillon. The latter book was written to accompany a History Channel series of that title.

Before the test, she found these flash cards of use for review. A fun add on was the Cartoon History of the United States by Larry Gonick.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you so much for your input and taking the time to post. I've bookmarked all the sites you mentioned.

God bless,

Bev

My older kids used this as a spine . We also used Annals of American History which is a compilation of orignal documents. I bought it second hand as we were moving outside the US and it wouldn't be in our local library.

We are doing American History this year using a Laura Berquist course which features a lot of historical fiction. This is a good fit for this ds as he needs the creative writing it features and gobbles up historical fiction. We struggle through the textbooks sections.

My older kids used this as a spine . We also used Annals of American History which is a compilation of orignal documents. I bought it second hand as we were moving outside the US and it wouldn't be in our local library.

We are doing American History this year using a Laura Berquist course which features a lot of historical fiction. This is a good fit for this ds as he needs the creative writing it features and gobbles up historical fiction. We struggle through the textbooks sections.

About the Laura Berquist course? Website? Thank you so much.

She wrote the book Designing your own Classical Curriculum first published in 1994, which basically is Catholic version of WTM ( I know that I have oversimplified here)

The course I mentioned is from the umbrella school she developed for families that wanted more support or details of how to implement a Classical curriculum for their homes. The high school lesson plans are about thirty dollars each and have lists of historical fiction revelant to each section of American history, and a lot of details about writing assignments. I tweek the textbook to my own choice which is about one week in six. You can get the Mother of Divine Grace Lesson plans several places here is one. I have also included a review of some of her other curriculum.

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/modg.php

http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Divine-History-Literature-Syllabus/dp/B000FF8P48/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226564227&sr=1-27