Menu

Can Writing Tales Be Used For Only Writing

Homeschooling6

We are using another grammar curriculum (FLL 4 ) and want to use Writing Tales for writing only. Can it be used this way? Can I use it along with FLL 4 or would it be overkill? Is it very teacher dependent?

With five dc to teach I am trying to have the older two as independent as possible. I spend an hour each day with them one on one to go over their assignments.

This would be for my 5th grade son who hasn't had much writing instruction.

Thanks in advance!

I used WT1 along side FLL3. There were repetitions, but i figured the more they practice grammar concepts the better. They enjoyed Writing Tales and the pages are quick so they never complained. This year I'm using it along with growing with grammar.

You can do writing tales with a bare minimum of teacher help. On crazy weeks, i really just jump in to edit their papers, the rest they do on their own. Check out the samples on their website and you can see the teacher's manual and what is required of you.

KLA

You didn't ask, but I assume you are looking at WT2? Your 5th grader will be fine with it. The grammar will be a nice complement to your FLL4 and doesn't really take the place of it. Yes, he'll probably be able to do much of the work himself (copywork, etc.). WT2 is a really great level and I'm very happy with what we learned in it. You're going to love it! :)

You didn't ask, but I assume you are looking at WT2? Your 5th grader will be fine with it. The grammar will be a nice complement to your FLL4 and doesn't really take the place of it. Yes, he'll probably be able to do much of the work himself (copywork, etc.). WT2 is a really great level and I'm very happy with what we learned in it. You're going to love it! :)

Would I still get WT2 if he hasn't had too much grammar and no writing or very little writing?

I was going to get WW1:001_huh: I probably won't order for anther week or so. Looking forward to more comments;)

Well you can print out the samples of WT1 and WT2 to decide for yourself. I taught it in a co-op class year, and the 5th graders with minimal writing experience did fine in WT2, just fine. I think WT1 is going to seem awfully young for him. Your 9 yo could do WT2 along with him, or the 9, 8, and 7 yo's could do WT1. You really have some options there. By the end of WT2 you'll have covered paragraphing, outlining, all the sentence beginnings (dress-ups of IEW), etc., so it's a terrific level to do with a 5th grader. It's so gentle and clearly explained, he'll have no problems. The models are longer than in WT1, which is what makes it more challenging and borderline for the 9 yo. If she can handle the models, put her up. But if she'd do better with shorter models, you could put her in WT1 and group her with the youngers just as nicely. I know you're probably wondering if you could group all of them (10, 9, 8,7) and just do WT1, but I think you'll be happier with the skills you cover if you bump the 5th grader up to WT2.

Well you can print out the samples of WT1 and WT2 to decide for yourself. I taught it in a co-op class year, and the 5th graders with minimal writing experience did fine in WT2, just fine. I think WT1 is going to seem awfully young for him. Your 9 yo could do WT2 along with him, or the 9, 8, and 7 yo's could do WT1. You really have some options there. By the end of WT2 you'll have covered paragraphing, outlining, all the sentence beginnings (dress-ups of IEW), etc., so it's a terrific level to do with a 5th grader. It's so gentle and clearly explained, he'll have no problems. The models are longer than in WT1, which is what makes it more challenging and borderline for the 9 yo. If she can handle the models, put her up. But if she'd do better with shorter models, you could put her in WT1 and group her with the youngers just as nicely. I know you're probably wondering if you could group all of them (10, 9, 8,7) and just do WT1, but I think you'll be happier with the skills you cover if you bump the 5th grader up to WT2.

Thank you. This makes sense. I'm glad you chimed in. I would have bought WT1 for my 5th grader.

I'm considering WT for my younger studends but am currently using WWE workbook 1 with my 2nd grader and WWE Workbook 2 with my 3rd grader. In your opinion what do you think if I added WT 1 to go along with WWE? Would that be too much? Maybe if we did WT twice a week with the younger ones?

Appreicate your in-put:001_smile:

I would start WT1 when your dc can comfortably write their own narration. WWE is working them to that point, so I'd just keep going till you get there. There's no crime in waiting till next year and doing the youngers together in WT1. At that point the 7 yo will be old enough to join in comfortably. If you want to do it sooner and have the youngest dc join in, just scale it down or make it fit him.

I would start WT1 when your dc can comfortably write their own narration. WWE is working them to that point, so I'd just keep going till you get there. There's no crime in waiting till next year and doing the youngers together in WT1. At that point the 7 yo will be old enough to join in comfortably. If you want to do it sooner and have the youngest dc join in, just scale it down or make it fit him.

Thank you:001_smile: for all your advice.